Is my cleaning and storing process ok?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly traditional but I clean them all with hot soapy water, then hot water, WD 40 while still hot to insure moisture is gone, then 3 to 5 dry patches then PB Blaster.

When I am ready to do the final wiping and final patch thru the barrel I use this product....

GXXc6IR.jpg

I the two years since I started using this I have seen zero rust on any gun and zero rust on any of the tools in my tool chest out in the garage. It handles and uses just like the original WD-40 but does a far superior job of preventing rust. Do an internet search on the stuff and you'll find a very in-depth corrosion study done pitting this product against maybe twenty others using different degrees of dampness and storage times and you will get an eye opening.

I also am using this for a final swab and wipe.
Also use it on any exposed tools in our somewhat dampish barn. Works very well on preventing any rust. Just a light coat works fine. A bit expensive but goes a long way.

Between shots I lick a patch and run down both sides, then a dry patch both times. That way my cold bore shots go to the same POI (point of impact) as all the rest.

Thorough cleaning after the range session is required. If I understand you, you're using bore foam, which is designed for smokeless powder, and BH 209. Black powder and substitutes are water soluble. Lots of folks use Windex to clean. I use Dawn & water. The old buffallo hunters used to pee down the barrel. I find that running a brush down loosens the residue. I use Kroil as a rust preventative. I picked up a gallon at an estate sale for $3. I run a dry patch down the bore before shooting again.
I tried peeing down the barrel of my muzzy today and got burned... I guess i should of waited for nit to cool down first.. 😂🤣😂🤣😭😭

When I'm done target shooting or hunting, I clean my gun really good. I also check a day or two later just to make sure no rust has started.
I inspect all my guns once a month and give them a quick wipe down.
Yeah I actually enjoy cleaning my guns. We hit a bit on the fack my Ultima is rather small in my 7 ft frame but wow!! I am nasty accurate at 150yds and it almost feels like a custom fit now lol.

I also am using this for a final swab and wipe.
Also use it on any exposed tools in our somewhat dampish barn. Works very well on preventing any rust. Just a light coat works fine. A bit expensive but goes a long way.
$20 a can on amazon isnt too bad i think im going to pick some up.

After a complete tear down and cleaning i like to wipe my baby down with a cloth and some light mineral oil. What do you guys use or recommend using?

My house is dry so I don't have trouble with rust. My traditional flintlocks I clean with soapy water. Patch dry them then let them set muzzle down over night. The next day I patch dry just to make sure they are clean and dry, Then I just run a patch of bear grease (yes rendered bear fat) down the bore. Bore butter works as well. For my inline's I Take out the breech plug and put it in my ultra sonic cleaner. I use a couple patches of windex down the bore to get the gunk out, kroil also works but windex is cheap. If bore is real gunky I use a brush. Once clean everything gets a good wipe down with ballistoil. I like to check my Muzzleloaders a few days after just to make sure all is well.

After a complete tear down and cleaning i like to wipe my baby down with a cloth and some light mineral oil. What do you guys use or recommend using?
On the outside i spray and wipe some regular Remoil. The bores of my MLs get the Woolwax or that WD40 corrosion inhibitor. I prefer the Woolwax because i get it at work cheap. We use it on RVs slideout gears and electric brakes to protect against the road salt exposure here. The WD40 stuff also works really well, too.

My house is dry so I don't have trouble with rust. My traditional flintlocks I clean with soapy water. Patch dry them then let them set muzzle down over night. The next day I patch dry just to make sure they are clean and dry, Then I just run a patch of bear grease (yes rendered bear fat) down the bore. Bore butter works as well. For my inline's I Take out the breech plug and put it in my ultra sonic cleaner. I use a couple patches of windex down the bore to get the gunk out, kroil also works but windex is cheap. If bore is real gunky I use a brush. Once clean everything gets a good wipe down with ballistoil. I like to check my Muzzleloaders a few days after just to make sure all is well.
Have you tried a small handheld steamer to clean you plug and trigger assembly? I feel like they work better than an ultrasonic cleaner most of the time.

The biggest factor when determining your cleaning process is the results. If you are finding that your muzzleloader is showing signs of rust after sitting for a few weeks then you will probably need to alter your process. If your muzzleloader is still clean when you take it out of the safe and it shows no signs of rust on the inside or outside of the barrel then I would stick with your current process.

Once the M-L is clean after use, I go a tad heavy on a coat of oil inside & out for storage. I say a ‘tad’, not dripping obviously. I give it a periodic checkup once in a while.

With all the stuff going on, work & everything else, my M-L usually sits from any late anterless hunts until next Fall sight checks. At that time, I’ll ensure it’s clean & dry before loading. I mostly use Hoppes 9, then a common gun oil.

Okay so after 3 shots I like to run 2 pre-saturated swabs through my barrel, then 2 dry swabs. It does a great job as I've inspected it after 3 swabs and little to no residual existed in my barrel (basically saying 2 and 2 is plenty between shots). As I store my muzzy after a good days of shooting I bore foam it, then follow same process with 2 pre-saturated and 2 dry, I then run a seasoning patch through the barrel and finally finish up again with a double dry swabbing. Am i doing too much? Also even though I'm cleaning and seasoning prior to storage I still run a dry swab through my barrel prior to re-use.

You're on the right track with your cleaning process

Latest posts

Back