Kind of have a primer problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickt300

Reaction score
I only have 80 or so 209's and I need to build a load along with sight in a newly mounted scope. The stainless 209-50 Encore barrel and accoutrements arrived today and it looks great. I think it will be easier to get a good load quickly using the Speer 270 grain Deep Curls, green crush rib sabots I have and some 3F Shockeys Gold, Pyrodex P and Goex 3F. I have some 240 grain JSP Speer calls the Uni core also. Speer says those are for target shooting? Very hopefully I will come into some primers before next October's Oklahoma deer season. This primer issue has me thinking about ordering a Variflame II so I can use some of the large rifle primers I have. Anyone ever play with a Variflame II? VariFlame II Primer Conversion for Muzzle Loaders Converts 209 Primers to Large Rifle Primers

Last edited:
If you can even find rifle primers! I've been trying to find some 209's with no luck.
Don't know if you can convert your rig to using musket caps or #11's.
Those are available.

80 shots should be plenty. Make a plan and don't waste shots.

That is what I figure but that won't let me play very much. Surely soon the primer issue will resolve itself, other components are coming back in stock.

Texas but thanks for the offer. I have my yearly supply of large rifle primers, just under 3000.

That is what I figure but that won't let me play very much. Surely soon the primer issue will resolve itself, other components are coming back in stock.
Don't count on the primer issue resolving for at least a year or two. The reason for no primers is that they are all going into loaded ammo. There is no ammo on the shelves, there will be no primers.

Latest posts

Back