....Kit guns ...........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
:scratch: 

I need your thoughts, opinions and first hand knowledge concerning KIT GUNS. I can get a "TRADITIONS" ST.LOUIS HAWKEN 50 cal for $350.00. The price isn't the issue here. The issue is, how safe are they to shoot and how is the accuracy :?: 
OR...........
For $450.00 I can get a Lyman Deer Stalker in 50 or 54 already put together.

Opinions and thoughts.

(Just trying to get as  much info as I can. I have a VIP checking on percussion's for me also) 8) 

Ray...........:shooter:

Are these kits flintlocks?

I wish I knew more about the quality of the components of the various kit guns. I've seen a few that were assembled by meticulous craftsmen and they looked and functioned great.

hawgslayer said:
:scratch: 

I need your thoughts, opinions and first hand knowledge concerning KIT GUNS. I can get a "TRADITIONS" ST.LOUIS HAWKEN 50 cal for $350.00. The price isn't the issue here. The issue is, how safe are they to shoot and how is the accuracy :?: 
OR...........
For $450.00 I can get a Lyman Deer Stalker in 50 or 54 already put together.

Opinions and thoughts.

(Just trying to get as  much info as I can. I have a VIP checking on percussion's for me also) 8) 

Ray...........:shooter:
Nothing wrong with the st louis hawken at all. I saw dixie gun works has the kits for $315. Safe as any other muzzleloader out there, i plan on getting one later on to test out. If they shoot anything like my strikerfire, it will be a great shooter. I think forum member cayugad has one in flintlock version, may PM him and ask for his view on it.

Deer Stalker im sure is a shooter as well like most lymans. Have you ever considered a lyman great plains rifle kit?

:D 

Thanks for the replies. Trying to gather as much info as I can before I make a decision on buying something.

Ray..........;)

Ray the kits are good quality.

The end product all comes down to how good your assembly and craftsmanship was when building the gun.

In my opinion the Ardesa made guns are of better quality than some of the Ita made guns.

I had a St Louis that was factory built. Not a great gun. Just so so, and not in the same league of TC sidelocks.

Thanks for the replies gents. I will or my VIP will find one new for me. If not there's the kits and the Lyman Deer Stalker or Plaines rifle.:cheers: 

Ray............;)

Unless of course one of you have a brand new ITB .54 percussion or maybe 9.5 out of 10  :lol!:

I see you've been bitten by the sidelock bug Ray.

Do you plan on hunting with them?

:) 

Pete,
I have a brand new Italian .54 cal Flint lock with all the brass trim. It's an INVESTARMS. Besides looking great, I put my first 3 shots in the bull at 25 yards. That got me hooked. My friend gave it to me because he didn't like it. His dad gave it to him yrs ago. It's mint inside and out. Not a mark on it. He never shot it either.
I then picked up a T/C Renegade .54 cal and it's in great shape for a used rifle. Whoever had it took real good care of it inside and out. Only problem I have with it is, my elevation screw is bottomed out and I'm 4 inches high at 25 yards. A few of the members suggested that a taller front sight will take care of the problem. The blade that's on the rifle is .502 so I ordered a .570 in height. That should do it. First though I'm going to see where the impact area is at 50 and 100. It may be on. TOO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION..............
It's to late for me this season because I'll be leaving 7 days from today but rest assure next season I'll be in the blind with a percussion .54 hopefully or a 50. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Ray I've seen with my gun that shot 4" high at 25 that the shots went about 13" high at 50 and the only way to get it to shoot lower was to go to a taller front sight.

What I don't understand is i've had 3 Renegades, and all of them could be sighted in with the stock sights. Maybe someone changed the sights on Ray's gun?

Spitfire, I have a .570 front sight coming in the mail today or tomorrow. :cheers: The height of the one on the rifle is .502. Ones coming buddy :!: :!: :!: 

Ray.............;)

Had a TC hawken and one renegade, even an omega that had screwy sights. Two wouldnt adjust to the right enough and the omega shot a foot high with the tallest sight tc had.

I had that problem with the Omega. The sidelocks have been fine for me. Maybe TC put the wrong sight on Ray's gun.

No surprise. They never could get the sights right on my Omega. Don't they test fire the guns?

I suspect that someone tampered with the sights on my rifle as I bought it second hand , after installing a sight that I had lying around it shot fine.

Back