Knight MK85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Reaction score
I just picked up 2 stainless MK85’s, an extra stock, and a bunch of accessories. I don’t know anything about this model, but I do know they both are set up for 209 primers. One had an older Burris Fullfield 3-9 scope.

I assume since they’re Knights that they’re decent rifles. Any info on loads and quirks I might encounter would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have several of them. They are my favorite rifles. My main hunting gun was shooting 110 grains of T7 FFG with a Harvester PT Gold 300 in a Crushrib Sabot very well. Almost in the same hole at 100 yards.

I shot the rifle without a scope today, and I think I’m really going to enjoy them other than clean up. I shot with 80 grains of Pyrodex and tried a 240 gr 44 cal cast lead bullets with a green crush sabot and 300 grain 45 cal cast lead bullets with a black crush sabot. Both shot really well. I’m probably going to try to kill a deer with this rifle and one of the 300 gr bullets.

I’m going to shoot the scoped rifle tomorrow.

One of the best rifles ever made!
I have had a bunch over the years, still have 3. Personally, I like the #11 ignition. All my .50's have shot 90-100gr powder, and 240-300gr saboted bullet really well. I use pyrodex rs, and RWS caps.
I agree they are a great classic rifle that functions best with #11 caps. I prefer real black powder myself.

The MK85 originally came with a slotted breech plug, and required a special tool. If I still used my MK, I'd get it a hex head plug, so I could just use a socket wrench. But, your 209 plugs would have to be aftermarket anyway, so I'm guessing they already have the hex head.

The MK85 originally came with a slotted breech plug, and required a special tool. If I still used my MK, I'd get it a hex head plug, so I could just use a socket wrench. But, your 209 plugs would have to be aftermarket anyway, so I'm guessing they already have the hex head.
Yes sir, both of these have the bare primer hex head breech plugs.
I have the 209 and Percussion setups for my MK 85 and actually prefer the 209 ignition as I get less blowback from it.
Yes sir, these rifles came with percussion set ups too. I can’t see any instance where I would ever need anything but the 209 set up.
I’ve still only shot one of the two, but I did shoot that one again yesterday evening. I was going to leave that rifle for open sight hunting, but due to my poor eye sight, I ended up putting a Leupold VX3 1.5-5 with an illuminated reticle on it.
I also shot my old faithful Knight DISC rifle yesterday, but for whatever reason, I’m really digging the MK85.

Just an fyi, you mentioned bare primer 209. I have read many times that the bare primer setup is not recommended in the plunger guns. I haven't ever had one.

FWIW, I've used the #11 and Red FPJ 209, I prefer the #11 and in fact got rid of all my 209 parts for these rifles. The #11 ignition just flat works perfectly.

The plunger guns are dirtier for sure due to design, with #11 or 209. But it doesn't really matter to me... I'm cleaning it anyhow.

Good luck, they are great guns I love mine. Might break out the .54 this year to hunt with some :)

I have a bare 209 breechplug Knight made for the MK-85 and Wolverine rifles. Shot it afew times and went back to #11 caps.

Dont want to hijack the thread but what is the difference between the MK-85 and the LK-93 I bought? Barrel length is all I see.

Dont want to hijack the thread but what is the difference between the MK-85 and the LK-93 I bought? Barrel length is all I see.
From my reading, the LK has a rounded receiver where the MK has flat sides, and the LK may or may not have a Timney trigger. Not really a lot of difference, and it should be a very solid rifle.

Back