Knight MK85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said previously, the two MK85’s I acquired are both set up for bare 209 primers. I have the original #11 ignition system for both rifles and found a source for caps.
I’ve been reading that these plunger rifles are more suited for cap ignition instead of 209.

I’d like to know from folks that have used both is the really an advantage for me buy caps and change these rifles back to that ignition system or would I be splitting hairs?

I bought a predator model MK 85 many years ago new. I’ve shot it both ways with caps and 209 and my personal opinion is I’ve never seen a difference. Also never had an an issue with either ignition system. That particular gun has since been retired since I’m strictly smokeless except for primitive season where a side hammer is to be used. Actually thinking of selling it.

I bought a predator model MK 85 many years ago new. I’ve shot it both ways with caps and 209 and my personal opinion is I’ve never seen a difference. Also never had an an issue with either ignition system. That particular gun has since been retired since I’m strictly smokeless except for primitive season where a side hammer is to be used. Actually thinking of selling it.
Is that a 54 cal? If so, let me know if you want to sell it.

As I said previously, the two MK85’s I acquired are both set up for bare 209 primers. I have the original #11 ignition system for both rifles and found a source for caps.
I’ve been reading that these plunger rifles are more suited for cap ignition instead of 209.

I’d like to know from folks that have used both is the really an advantage for me buy caps and change these rifles back to that ignition system or would I be splitting hairs?
You need the hammer with the little cone or tip protruding out in the center of the face of the hammer. Like this one. That's the only thing you need.

Attachments

• MK-85 hammer.JPG
    MK-85 hammer.JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 0
Dont want to hijack the thread but what is the difference between the MK-85 and the LK-93 I bought? Barrel length is all I see.
The setup is very similar, the LK93 just is a much inferior model the the MK85, parts and quality wise. I had an LK, shot great...gave it to my nephew. The MK has top tier parts, fit, and finish. They also balance outstanding.

Better stocks, better sights, better triggers, and for me better balance and better fit and feel.
The 54cal Predator i had for a short while was the best balanced full size ML i think i ever handled. Fit and finish were as good or better than any production ML ive owned.

No doubt they will both kill. I think someone asked what the difference was between the models.
A lawn mower blade and a rock will both kill too.

Back