Knight peregrine problem help!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Tabbed Charlie

Reaction score
Ok so I’m far from a rookie when it comes to muzzleloading but I wouldn’t say I’m an expert or a gunsmith by any means. I’m proficient with my muzzleloaders but I’m devastated after my first day at the range with my new Knight peregrine. This is not meant to be a knock on knight rifles, I own several and I’ve never had an issue until now.

So here’s what happened and maybe you can help me understand. (FYI I’ve reached out to knight about warranty 3 days ago but have t heard back yet but I’m sure they’ll fix whatever the problem is) So here goes.

Range day, Scope mounted,loctite applied and ready for the first shot. I loaded 120 grains of BH 209 and a 275 fury 40 caliber hand sized bullet. I sized it appropriately so that it was barely starting into the barrel. I popped in a Winchester W209 primer and let it fly at 50 yards. Boom on paper. 3 more shots at the same charge and same sizing for the bore. I noticed the 4th shot went down smooth until it hit the middle of the barrel and there was a bit of drag but I was able to push through now problem and seat the round.

So after the 4th shot I decided to disassemble and clean the bore. Here comes the issue, the breech plug was extremely tough to get out until it was almost out and then it finally loosened up. I stripped it and cleaned and then went to reassemble but when I went to put the bolt in the bolt would not lock into position. So I then removed the breech plug to trouble shoot and found that the bolt locked into place fine once it was out so therefore my conclusion is that the breech plug is not going in all the way.

This is devastating because now my rifle won’t be ready in time for muzzleloading season in Missouri. Any ideas why this could’ve happened? I mean I’ve never had a knight rifle malfunction but this one certainly did. I hope they get me a replacement or fix this one ASAP and I’m sure they will but yeah I’m frustrated to say the least and I figured maybe y’all could help.

Make sure you have the breechplug fully seated in gun so that the bolt goes in properly
Yessir I tried that but it won’t go in any farther and I mean I really gave it a go to make sure but it’s as far as it’ll go in. I wonder if it’s possible that when it was installed originally it was cross threaded? Idk

Ok so I just couldn’t help it because this has been eating at me terribly so I completely disassembled my rifle again and re-examined it and I have found the problem. The reason this breech plug was so tight coming out the first time I cleaned it is because whoever put it together at the factory or whatever machine ( I don’t know how that works) must have cross threaded it because on the end of the breech plug the threads are flat. I don’t know how or if they can fix that but at this point I’m going to ask for a new rifle because dang this is ridiculous with the kind of money I just spent. Please understand I’m a lifelong knight fan who owns 4 knight rifles plus this one. This is like being a Chevy guy and getting towed by a Ford. I’m still going to buy knight products but this hurts man.

Heres a couple pics and you can see the flat thread on the end there.

Attachments

• 9C921ECD-6208-4E84-B9DB-51CC9F8E5BA1.jpeg
    9C921ECD-6208-4E84-B9DB-51CC9F8E5BA1.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 54BC5860-0624-4A0C-961B-EE40FCE7EB92.jpeg
    54BC5860-0624-4A0C-961B-EE40FCE7EB92.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 89
Looks like the breech wasn't threaded all the way perhaps.
Could be I honestly don’t know and I’m not a gunsmith but when it arrived in the box the breech plug was already installed but the bolt was not. I locked the bolt in after checking to make sure the breech plug was snug but not tight and it was already screwed in all the way. I didn’t back it out just checked to see if it was snug.

But then when I went to take it out after 4 shots it was really really tough to get it out. I just hope they give me a new one, I also just found chips on my stock and I know that wasn’t cause by be either because it went from bench to lead sled and was never dropped or anything like that. It’s really unfortunate but I’ll be happy if they just replace it. I saved my butt off for this rifle.

I would buy a die and chase the threads. Use teflon tape instead of grease.
I don’t know how to do that or how I would know what size or type of die to get as far as thread sizes? I’m hoping that knight just replaces this rifle ASAP. I’ve found other defects last knight, like my stock is chipped in places and the ramrod retaining eye literally fell off because it was tightened down and the shooting must’ve jarred it loose.

Yep make them send a new one out. Quality control missed something on this one. For safety’s sake request a brand new one be sent out.
Yessir I’m going to have my wife send another email today. I shouldn’t say I saved because technically my wife came up with the other half so that I could have this for Christmas. I’m sure hoping they do the right thing and replace this rifle with a new one.

Being a Knight guy myself,I understand.On another note,teflon tape does seal up tighter and less messier than grease.When I use anti-seize it ends up every where but in the breech plug.

Just curious here but did you disassemble the rifle when you got it and clean it thoroughly then reassemble it then head to the range? Or is the rifle supposed to be load and go right from the box? Every rifle I have ever purchased I have always cleaned them completely in and out as most if the time they have oil on them to prevent rust when in the box.

Just curious here but did you disassemble the rifle when you got it and clean it thoroughly then reassemble it then head to the range? Or is the rifle supposed to be load and go right from the box? Every rifle I have ever purchased I have always cleaned them completely in and out as most if the time they have oil on them to prevent rust when in the box.
No sir it was assembled when it arrived except for the bolt. I checked the breech plug to make sure that it was snug, I then ran a few dry patches down the barrel and got the oil out, ran another patch of hoppes no9. And then a few other dry patches. Put a light coat of oil on the bolt and then wiped down the excess, inserted the bolt. Torqued and applied loctite (blue) on the scope bases, installed a vortex viper hs-t 6-24x50 and then let the loctite cure for a couple days. Then headed to the range, fired a bare primer first to burn out any excess oil I could’ve missed and then fired away. Then the problems came.

Got ya, was their any type of lubricant on the threads of the plug from the factory? I have a good feeling Knight will treat you right with this situation. I myself have been looking to get the .40 perigrine. I only own 2 other knights and they are both fine rifles for the day in age they were made

Latest posts

Back