Knight peregrine problem help!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got ya, was their any type of lubricant on the threads of the plug from the factory? I have a good feeling Knight will treat you right with this situation. I myself have been looking to get the .40 perigrine. I only own 2 other knights and they are both fine rifles for the day in age they were made
There was a small amount of grease it looked like when I removed it. I have 2 mountaineer rifles ( a .45 1:20 and a .52 ) they’re amazing and I’ve fired hundreds of rounds through each and never had an issue. I also have a tk2000 and a revolution and they’re both fine guns as well. I’m sure that they will do the right thing here.

That company has been amazing over the years and I’m a proud supporter of American Made. They also give me and my wife the veterans discount. I can’t say enough praise about those people, this is unfortunate but me and knight rifles will continue business together after this. They’re not gonna lose me as long as they do what’s right here.

Got ya, was their any type of lubricant on the threads of the plug from the factory? I have a good feeling Knight will treat you right with this situation. I myself have been looking to get the .40 perigrine. I only own 2 other knights and they are both fine rifles for the day in age they were made
I agree with Steelheader323. Knight service is usually pretty good. When I was struggling to get parts earlier this year I got a call from Justin who made it happen for me. I think that they will do right by you.

you need a 11/16 x 20 tpi bottoming tap to finish the threads. Flattened threads are a classic sign of a hole not completely finished. Have you tried a new breech plug? I have several Knights but no Peregrine, so I don't know the interchangeability of the BPs. The BP will prolly clean up by itself after the threads are repaired in the barrel or you can use a thread repair file. The threads in the barrel need to be deepened and/or finished with a bottom tap. McMaster Carr has this tap. I have one as well or you can wait for Knight. This is only based on the information that you have posted, not a formal diagnosis of the problem.

you need a 11/16 x 20 tpi bottoming tap to finish the threads. Flattened threads are a classic sign of a hole not completely finished. Have you tried a new breech plug? I have several Knights but no Peregrine, so I don't know the interchangeability of the BPs. The BP will prolly clean up by itself after the threads are repaired in the barrel or you can use a thread repair file. The threads in the barrel need to be deepened and/or finished with a bottom tap. McMaster Carr has this tap. I have one as well or you can wait for Knight. This is only based on the information that you have posted, not a formal diagnosis of the problem.
No sir I have not tried a new breech plug, this happened on Tuesday and I brought it home and cleaned it and then last night started inspecting and found the breech plug had flattened threads on the end. I’m just waiting on knight at this point. That’s good to know about what I’d need though. Hopefully they’ll just take this one back and give me a new rifle at this point. There’s also several chips on the stock I found.

Well keep us posted..I’d really like to see some in field footage or range footage of the perigrine as I haven’t seen anything except the video on knights website..but it doesn’t know any real range time with the rifle….I’m a bit torn between it and a 1-20 .45 build

This being a new rifle I would just let Knight handle it. Messing with it might give cause to void the warranty. You do have another rifle right?
IF..... I needed to shoot it NOW I would carefully file off the first and maybe second thread on the breech plug so it would seat. I'm no 'smith, just a farmboy that makes things work in a pinch. ;)

Also when removing your bases to send it in, it might not hurt to heat up the screws set in Blue Loctite when removing them.

Missouri "alternative season" runs from today until Jan 4th. 🥺 You said you also got a 45 1-20 right?
https://missourihuntingoutfitters.com/resources/hunting-seasons/
Yeah I’m from Texas and I usually hunt public land down here. I don’t have a place to hunt other than public but this year I had saved and paid an outfitter
( farmer) up in northwest Missouri to hunt there at his lodge. It cost me 2200 bucks for a 4 day hunt from January 1st through the 4th and I was planning on taking my Peregrine but it doesn’t look like that’s the case so I’ll take my mountaineer 45 1:20

This being a new rifle I would just let Knight handle it. Messing with it might give cause to void the warranty. You do have another rifle right?
IF..... I needed to shoot it NOW I would carefully file off the first and maybe second thread on the breech plug so it would seat. I'm no 'smith, just a farmboy that makes things work in a pinch. ;)

Also when removing your bases to send it in, it might not hurt to heat up the screws set in Blue Loctite when removing them.
Lol yessir I’m not gonna mess with it, my mountaineer is a bad bad dude and it’ll handle the trip just fine. I was hoping to see what this baby (peregrine) would do at distance but looks like it’ll have to wait until next year.

I just want to make sure I reiterate here that this post is in know way a knock on knight rifles, if you’re thinking about buying a peregrine or any other product from them you should. They’re a solid company with a great reputation and if you don’t have one you’re missing out. I have many and I love them all.

Production issues can happen with anybody and I’m sure that they’ll fix this problem immediately. I just posted here because this is the place where I can find the experts and I’m sure knight is spending Christmas with their families as they should. I’ll update everyone once they get back to me but once again do not let this discourage you, a lot of people here especially the knight owners will tell you what a great product and company this is. We’ll get it worked out, Merry Christmas y’all

Ok so I just couldn’t help it because this has been eating at me terribly so I completely disassembled my rifle again and re-examined it and I have found the problem. The reason this breech plug was so tight coming out the first time I cleaned it is because whoever put it together at the factory or whatever machine ( I don’t know how that works) must have cross threaded it because on the end of the breech plug the threads are flat. I don’t know how or if they can fix that but at this point I’m going to ask for a new rifle because dang this is ridiculous with the kind of money I just spent. Please understand I’m a lifelong knight fan who owns 4 knight rifles plus this one. This is like being a Chevy guy and getting towed by a Ford. I’m still going to buy knight products but this hurts man.

Heres a couple pics and you can see the flat thread on the end there.
Those threads aren't cross threaded. The breech wasn't machined correctly. The threads at the front of the breech plug have bottomed out at the beginning of the chamber. Either the barrel wasn't machined right or the breech plug. I wouldn't spend another penny on it. Send it back...and make them send you another rifle pronto. You shouldn't have to miss season because they screwed up when they made the rifle. How very disappointing.

Last edited:
Here’s an update y’all, so Steven Brian of Knight Rifles reached out to me today from his personal cell. He is going to overnight me a brand new rifle today from Knight and it will be here tomorrow and I’ll get a range day right before my hunt and we’ll be ready. This is why I buy Knight, this is why I buy American Made!!! Thank you Knight Rifles!!!!!!!!

Here’s an update y’all, so Steven Brian of Knight Rifles reached out to me today from his personal cell. He is going to overnight me a brand new rifle today from Knight and it will be here tomorrow and I’ll get a range day right before my hunt and we’ll be ready. This is why I buy Knight, this is why I buy American Made!!! Thank you Knight Rifles!!!!!!!!

Great customer service !!

Justin went above and beyond taking care of me last year. I was not sure I would get the same from his replacement. I can tell you Steve is every bit as good as Justin which tells me that Knight hires only the best. Because of the great service I have experienced and others have shared I will be buying a new rifle this year and it will be a Knight!

Wow that is awesome to hear! I think part of why you were treated so well is how you handled yourself. You didn't get all bent out of shape and throw a temper tantrum like we see a lot of guys do. Good job on your part and kuddos to Knight as well!!

You did the right thing by going right to the horses mouth As you said you are no gunsmith If you tried to remedy the problem yourself you may have voided the warranty Glad everything is working out I have owned Knight rifles for years and I have never had a problem with one. Good Luck on our hunt

Im glad to see that knight replaced your rifle. My peregrine came about 3 weeks ago. Im having issues sizing. I get the bullet sized to where its sung to start and goes in about 8-10 in and gets stuck. Have you had any issues with sizing?

Back