Knight peregrine problem help!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One option is to make the bullet smaller. Make the bullet small enough so it is easy to push to the powder. After ignition, on the way back out, the burning powder will obturate the bullet; it will be snug up there near the muzzle, and fly true.

One option is to make the bullet smaller. Make the bullet small enough so it is easy to push to the powder. After ignition, on the way back out, the burning powder will obturate the bullet; it will be snug up there near the muzzle, and fly true.
Yes. To get the bullet to fit down the barrel I have to size it so that it is loose at the muzzle. By the time it pushes down to seating on the powder it gets snug. This seems to me that the barrel changes size. I contacted knight by email and they say this is fine. This is my first muzzleloader so im not sure. Haven’t had it to rang yet to see how accurate it is.

While you sit in a stand and wait, Confidence, in your equipment is priority. To have that combo of luck, skill, timing to get to the point of even having a shot, You need to know everything else will do its part when asked. Confidence takes that one big worry, and virtually eliminates it. If you sit and wonder and hope, at that one perfect moment, will it fail? your heart just is not in it right. You wont sit as sill, your concentration wont be as focused.... the dominoes all start to tilt

I cannot hunt with a rifle that I don't have 100% confidence in both its accuracy potential and its function. It seems like a lot of us muzzleloaders are finding ways to make barrels shoot that have different or changing bore dimensions from one end to the other. I guess I would ask this simple question is this the way this is supposed to be ?is this good muzzleloader rifle bore engineering? I suppose in a sabot only rifle that it would still function and perform okay but if you're trying to size bullets I would be sending my rifle back and demanding a new rifle or a new barrel ,,shouldn't have to be that way. And it seems like a lot of gun companies are telling customers with this issue that it will be okay, not very reassuring not very confidence building is it.

I cannot hunt with a rifle that I don't have 100% confidence in both its accuracy potential and its function. It seems like a lot of us muzzleloaders are finding ways to make barrels shoot that have different or changing bore dimensions from one end to the other. I guess I would ask this simple question is this the way this is supposed to be ?is this good muzzleloader rifle bore engineering? I suppose in a sabot only rifle that it would still function and perform okay but if you're trying to size bullets I would be sending my rifle back and demanding a new rifle or a new barrel ,,shouldn't have to be that way. And it seems like a lot of gun companies are telling customers with this issue that it will be okay, not very reassuring not very confidence building is it.
Well ****. I guess a Peregrine is off the table now too. I think I'm just going to go find a 700 SA and have a rifle built and be done with it.

Ok so I’m far from a rookie when it comes to muzzleloading but I wouldn’t say I’m an expert or a gunsmith by any means. I’m proficient with my muzzleloaders but I’m devastated after my first day at the range with my new Knight peregrine. This is not meant to be a knock on knight rifles, I own several and I’ve never had an issue until now.

So here’s what happened and maybe you can help me understand. (FYI I’ve reached out to knight about warranty 3 days ago but have t heard back yet but I’m sure they’ll fix whatever the problem is) So here goes.

Range day, Scope mounted,loctite applied and ready for the first shot. I loaded 120 grains of BH 209 and a 275 fury 40 caliber hand sized bullet. I sized it appropriately so that it was barely starting into the barrel. I popped in a Winchester W209 primer and let it fly at 50 yards. Boom on paper. 3 more shots at the same charge and same sizing for the bore. I noticed the 4th shot went down smooth until it hit the middle of the barrel and there was a bit of drag but I was able to push through now problem and seat the round.

So after the 4th shot I decided to disassemble and clean the bore. Here comes the issue, the breech plug was extremely tough to get out until it was almost out and then it finally loosened up. I stripped it and cleaned and then went to reassemble but when I went to put the bolt in the bolt would not lock into position. So I then removed the breech plug to trouble shoot and found that the bolt locked into place fine once it was out so therefore my conclusion is that the breech plug is not going in all the way.

This is devastating because now my rifle won’t be ready in time for muzzleloading season in Missouri. Any ideas why this could’ve happened? I mean I’ve never had a knight rifle malfunction but this one certainly did. I hope they get me a replacement or fix this one ASAP and I’m sure they will but yeah I’m frustrated to say the least and I figured maybe y’all could help.
breech plug isn't all the way in because breech threads need cleaned

How im taking it is that the peregrine barrel is designed to get tighter the further down it pushes. Because this is a sabot-less bullet that needs sized. This keeps the bullet tight so that it doesn’t move off the load and cause a obstruction in the barrel.

How im taking it is that the peregrine barrel is designed to get tighter the further down it pushes. Because this is a sabot-less bullet that needs sized. This keeps the bullet tight so that it doesn’t move off the load and cause a obstruction in the barrel.
That's a reasonable assumption. My issue with that tactic if it is indeed fact is I personally would much prefer a uniform bore fore to aft rather than what you describe. Having a bullet becoming looser toward the muzzle could upset barrel harmonics.

I can't understand paying a thousand plus dollars for a muzzleloader and accepting that the barrel bore is like that I think that's absolutely nuts. When there's no set standard for muzzleloader bores similar to what Sammi spec would be with rifle cartridges it's no wonder that we're buying gymnastic bore muzzleloaders! What muzzleloader shooter doesn't want a uniform bore can't we just all agree on that? If we did a survey here on this site and ask everyone to vote choke bore at the muzzle ,choked in the middle, at the breech? Or air gauge to a standard what would you vote for?

lot of custom competition muzzle loaders are muzzle choked but not much

Back