Knight Super Disc and 330 Gould

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tonite i was daydreaming in one of my ladder stands looking over a cut soybean field dreaming about taking my Optima pistol to the range tomorrow to try out some dif loads. Had my old Super Disc .45 loaded with a 330grn Gould that i cast, on 80grn Volume of bh209 when 3 does come trotting across the field. Im wide open and didnt really expect to see deer today what with the wind and light snow starting to come down. They should have seen me from a mile away. But they didnt give me a second look when i swung around and scoped them. They were at 65 yards i found out later with my old Nikon range finder. I picked out the biggest of the 3 and watched her for a minute or two. They finally took notice and all 3 stood facing directly at me. I do like a head on chest shot less than 100yds. Always knocks them down right there. When i pulled the trigger and BOOM, she bunched up, hopped once, twice and collapsed. The other 2 stood there looking at her, then at me, for a minute. When i pulled my ramrod to reload they decided to see whats up elsewhere, quickly. I waited for about 15 minutes then climbed down to clean her and text the wife that we're have tenderloins for dinner. After gutting I put on my pack and stood to head back to get my jeep i see a 6 pt and his 2 does watching me. I gave them a pass since they're making more delicious deer for the future. They looked at me for a moment the he lead them away and i thanked whoever schedules that stuff and went to get my truck.
I write this as im eating yummy tenderloins with onions, garlic and leftover turkey dressings. So good. I dont deserve it but im sure glad and thankful for my good fortune.
20211126_165805.jpg20211126_164603_HDR.jpg

Thanks. I found the deadly mushroom on her liver. It had blown thru 4 ribs, a lung and the heart, i found it lying on the liver.
Shed a little weight, probably when it went thru some ribs.

Attachments

• 16380207699101211331346002173723.jpg
    16380207699101211331346002173723.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 22
That looks like a dandy eater MM. And those tenderloins.....first thing we eat too. Nice job!

Look up the suggested load data for that bullet in 45-70 because that is basically what you are shooting. Except they are not using lead even remotely that soft. I will wager your fps is faster than what lots of guys are recommending for CF load data. You are probably around 1500fps and the Gould does great at much less.

Im hoping to shoot it to 200 and maybe push it to 300yds without hardening it a lot. I shot it a few times with a 90grV charge. Didnt get leading but also never used it on deer to see how it held up.

My comment did not really have anything to do with potential leading. The Gould simply performs great at low speed impacts. Just look at Ron's 50grV BH209 test. That bullet was right in "the zone". Sweet mushroon, weight retention and still has a good amount of shank left on it. Then go look at the 80grV bullet. You can see its approaching the limit of its design.

Just a FYI if you are looking for another HP that just might be the ticket for more range, BullShop has a 405ish grain with a HP. Its 405ish with his alloy. Not sure what it would weigh using pure or 40-1.

Yep, it did great. Im a huge fan of that bullet for deer. Most of us that shoot 45s but under 150yards really dont need to look any further for a great cheap load. Its just stupid simple and plenty lethal.

Back