Knight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
I was surprised. I sent a message to Knight because they aren't taking phone calls. He got back to me in 5 min. I asked about the loaded red jackets. I wanted to make sure they had them in stock and is a Hazmat charged. Yes and no to those questions. Then I asked if it's really taking 3 weeks to ship. He said no it's now talking 4-5 weeks they're so busy. Groan.

The only powder I can buy is real black. No 209, #11 caps, or musket caps to be found. So, I have two choices. A flintlock or a Knight that uses the red jackets. No interest in another flintlock. Pain in the butt to hunt with in damp weather. I sold the crossbow at a great loss because Colorado said it was illegal. Draw length was too short. So, I need a weapon for elk. The Disc Extreme is the only Knight that will fit me. (LOP). Too heavy to put a scope on it. So, i'm stuck with crappy vision and open sights. As I would have been with a sidelock. Disc with red jackets and black powder is going to be a dirty gun and i'll need to use a boat load of powder for elk.

I could also get another legal crossbow. So, Disc or crossbow? What to do? Disc would be much cheaper than xbow. Those things are pricey.

I was surprised. I sent a message to Knight because they aren't taking phone calls. He got back to me in 5 min. I asked about the loaded red jackets. I wanted to make sure they had them in stock and is a Hazmat charged. Yes and no to those questions. Then I asked if it's really taking 3 weeks to ship. He said no it's now talking 4-5 weeks they're so busy. Groan.

The only powder I can buy is real black. No 209, #11 caps, or musket caps to be found. So, I have two choices. A flintlock or a Knight that uses the red jackets. No interest in another flintlock. Pain in the butt to hunt with in damp weather. I sold the crossbow at a great loss because Colorado said it was illegal. Draw length was too short. So, I need a weapon for elk. The Disc Extreme is the only Knight that will fit me. (LOP). Too heavy to put a scope on it. So, i'm stuck with crappy vision and open sights. As I would have been with a sidelock. Disc with red jackets and black powder is going to be a dirty gun and i'll need to use a boat load of powder for elk.

I could also get another legal crossbow. So, Disc or crossbow? What to do? Disc would be much cheaper than xbow. Those things are pricey.
In the long run the x bow will be cheaper as you know what works for you and bolts are available unlike anything that makes smoke !/Ed

Talley Light Weights and some of the Leupolds will add less than 20oz to the total weight. The set of Talleys ($37) is 4oz and Loopie has a couple scopes that weigh less than a lb. The 2-7x33 is like 11oz. It was basically the same setup i had on my NULA for years.

What makes the DE so heavy?
I purchased a DE back in November. It's definitely not a lightweight. The stock is part of the reason. The stock on the DE is solid, not hollow. You can save a little weight by going with a thumbhole stock. The thumbhole stock version is about 3/4 pound lighter than the straight stock.

I'd do that for sure but i'm a lefty and Knight gives no love to lefty's.

Guys complain about hollow plastic stocks. This is what we get when it's solid. :)

I did see some #11's on sgs shelf 20 clams and only 2 of different brands. No powder and very limited projectiles

I found caps and black powder. I'll be going traditional now and ordered a Hawken.

Like Popeye said.........I yam what I yam. I love Hawkens, black powder, and a PRB. No sense changing from what you love the most. I'll be looking for a bear and muley this year. I have a lead ball with their name on it. Maybe elk too if I can find help with the meat.

I found caps and black powder. I'll be going traditional now and ordered a Hawken.

Like Popeye said.........I yam what I yam. I love Hawkens, black powder, and a PRB. No sense changing from what you love the most. I'll be looking for a bear and muley this year. I have a lead ball with their name on it. Maybe elk too if I can find help with the meat.

There's value in recognizing that, Muley. For me it was debating between archery and muzzleloading. The extended season and potential for big deer is a huge plus for a bow, but I hated shooting it. No enjoyment in it for me. Over the years I've bought and sold I think 5 bows trying to talk myself into archery. Finally came to the conclusion that I'm better off to be able to hunt less and get loads of enjoyment out of it than to pursue a hobby I dread and have to force myself to practice. Maybe someday I'll change my mind.

That's why I like to hunt for bear. The season is the same as archery Sept 2-30. It's a rifle season, so any weapon can be used. It's nice to be able to hunt with the muzzleloader for a whole month. The muzzleloader season is mid Sept, so I can be hunting for bear all month and for 9 days in the middle of the month i'll be hunting for bear, deer, and elk. With the sidelock and PRB the same load is used for all animals. Makes it all simple.

You know when you hunt for deer you always see elk or when hunting elk you see deer or a bear. My way no matter what I see I go after it.

I decided the GPR is too much for my crappy back and i'm not waiting 5 weeks for Knight to ship.

So, I just bought a scoped CVA MR PR Nitride and Cerakote. I like the look better than black. I'll be concentrating on a bear hunt. It's the whole month of Sept and it's a rifle season. So, I can use sabots.

Last edited:
You change more and quicker than the weather. LOL
I'd like to have the $ you've lost on impulse buying/selling. I'm sure I've seen you buy and sell a dozen rifles over the years and not sure any of them ever made it afield. Find something you are happy with and go hunt buddy! Gun, bow, ML , spear LOL
I hope it works out and you have a good hunting season - with whatever you end up with by fall. 👍

I always liked the CVA mountain rifle. Ever since I handled one at Cabela's a few years ago. If I was ever to buy another inline, that would be the one.

You change more and quicker than the weather. LOL
I'd like to have the $ you've lost on impulse buying/selling. I'm sure I've seen you buy and sell a dozen rifles over the years and not sure any of them ever made it afield. Find something you are happy with and go hunt buddy! Gun, bow, ML , spear LOL
I hope it works out and you have a good hunting season - with whatever you end up with by fall. 👍

You're right. I was prepared to keep the crossbow. It was a sucker punch for it to turnout to be illegal. Then I found out the unit I was going to hunt elk with my friend has pine beetles and is closed to hunting this year. I wanted the new GPR but wanting and being good for me are two different things. It wouldn't have worked out and it would have been another gun i'd have to sell and lose money. I came to my senses before buying it this time.

Hopefully, i've made the right decision by buying the MR. I had to chuckle at Knight. They were going to take 5 weeks to ship. I ordered the MR from Muzzle-Loaders this morning and they shipped it this afternoon. I did order some loaded red jackets from Knight. It's the only 209 primers I could find anywhere. Let's see how long it takes to get them. They told me at Muzzle-Loaders that Federal told them there wouldn't be any 209 primers for 18 months. No idea if all the other companies that make primers will be the same. This is the result of hoarders.

I gave up on 209 primers. I managed to find all the parts I need to convert the gun to Northwest version that uses musket caps. I have 200 musket caps. Muzzle-Loaders had some Pyrodex Select powder, so I bought that. If I went with black powder i'd have to buy 4-5 lbs and the Pyro will work as good in an inline.

I called up Hornady to ask about the new Bore-Driver bullets coming out and she said in April they should start shipping. That's my pick for whatever game I hunt.

So, i'm set for this year. I just need to get the tags now and that's easy for me this year. Normally, I have no points but this year I have points for all game. Tags are guaranteed.

You guys are going to kill me. This really isn't my fault. Honest. Here's the sad story.

When I couldn't find 209 primers I cancelled the order for the CVA MR. Then I figured a way to use musket caps and sent another email saying to go ahead and send the gun. I just didn't want a gun I couldn't shoot and maybe moved too fast. Well, they must have got a lot of emails between my two. He went ahead and cancelled the gun and gave a refund before he read my 2nd email. So, the gun is cancelled and I have to wait until the money gets back in my bank account.

There's more and this is the part that really surprised me. I had ordered the new Lyman from Mid-South and cancelled it when I decided to go with the CVA. Even though I got an email saying the order was cancelled. The gun was still shipped and I was charged. That pretty much took all my money to last the month but i'll be ok when the refund gets in my account.

So, now the Lyman Signature rifle is coming. This isn't my fault. Well, maybe a little for changing my order but they screwed up too. So, at least i'll get to see the new Lyman. Mid-South knows they screwed up and will take it back. My biggest fear is i'm a sucker for Hawkens and it's going to be hard to send it back. Help!

Sooner or later you're going to end up with something you can hunt with. LOL :D

Back