Knight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about the Disc Extreme that you were interested in? Who cares if it takes four weeks for delivery it's still early in the year. Plenty of time.

What about the Disc Extreme that you were interested in? Who cares if it takes four weeks for delivery it's still early in the year. Plenty of time.

It's almost as heavy as the Hawken. If i'm going to get that heavy and use open sights. I'd rather have the Hawken. I'm not going to make any decisions until I see the Hawken. I may like it so much I won't be able to give it back. Since it worked out this way i'm not going to over think it. I'll just wait and see.

Gotcha. Hopefully you fall in love with the Hawken and it works out for you. 👍

I started with a sidelock Investarms 40 years ago. If it wasn't for aging eyes I would never have looked at an inline. Take a long look at the Hawken before you return it. You can buy an Inline later. If you hang around this forum you will buy more of both so you may as well get started.

Buy the way I do enjoy my Inlines very much. But my heart goes to my sidelock.

I started with a sidelock Investarms 40 years ago. If it wasn't for aging eyes I would never have looked at an inline. Take a long look at the Hawken before you return it. You can buy an Inline later. If you hang around this forum you will buy more of both so you may as well get started.

Buy the way I do enjoy my Inlines very much. But my heart goes to my sidelock.

I'm the same way. I must have bought at least a dozen inlines in the spring. For the same reasons. Poor vision and lighter weight of inlines. I get the inline all sighted in and practice with it. Then as I get close to the hunting season can't bring myself to hunt with the inline and sell it. I started muzzleloaders in 1980 and i've never hunted with anything but a sidelock and a PRB.

My vision is so bad that the DOW gave me a special license to use a scope in muzzy season. I've never used it and have always used open sights. I just keep getting closer and closer to the game. As a still hunter I always would sneak as close as possible. Even when vision was perfect. Now, it mandatory I get close.

I find as I get older I get even more stubborn. I've never hunted any other way than to still hunt. I 've never used anything but open sights. Even with CF guns. I've never taken anything but offhand shots. Those three things are a part of me and I can't hunt any other way. Just an old fart set in his ways.

So, I have high hopes for the new GPR. I can deal with the sights. My biggest worry is the weight of it. Can I carry and shoulder it without getting hurt. I have a bone brittle bones from Osteoporosis. If I put too much pressure on my spine i'll snap it. I've broke my back 10 times in the last 7-8 years. I'd rather not do it again.

Muley, have you ever tried a peep or ghost ring sight? Ive found that as my sight got worse the ghost ring got easier to use. Although im more far sighted and just need reading glasses, i cant really focus on the rear sight so they are perfect for me. When i can see the front sight then i know im lined up right. Accuracy has been amazing so far on my renegade with a willams fp.

Last edited:
I've tried peeps. They don't really help me. If the rear sight has a deep groove in a V shape I can just nestle the front sight into it. I only look at the front sight. So, I pay the most attention to making it easy to see. The new GPR has a nice silver blade front sight and the V rear sight. I can't wait to see how it looks. I just hope the stock doesn't have any cast off because I have to shoot the RH gun left handed. I wish Pedersoli had made a LH version like the Investarms version did. That was actually a big decision for me. There was a Investarms LH .54 caplock available. I was torn between it and the RH Pedersoli. The cheek piece does help with felt recoil on the cheek. Plus, the investarms is $200 cheaper. I went with the Pedersoli because it's such a better gun.

I went with the Pedersoli because it's such a better gun.
Hope we are not gun bashing here. LOL Just kidding.

When I bought that I had no idea what I was doing. But it was a good choice for me. I love the set trigger and have no complaints about any part of the gun. It kills deer just like the more expensive ones. When I shoot I usually have something to show for it. If I dont it wasnt the guns fault. If I had to do it over again I would do it again. Ive mentioned before in this forum that I like utility guns versus safe queens. I use them hard and have no regrets for scratches and dents. That makes it my gun.

I can't say too much. I've done my fair share of gun swapping over the years. I think I want something, then find out I don't want it and swap for another, only to find out I wish I would have taken a little more time with whatever I had before. Finally found a setup I love in my smokeless Encore and can't see ever getting rid of it, but then once in awhile I get a hankering for something different, generally a bolt action, and think about trading again. I'm in the minority here and while I agree you can never have too many guns, I've never been a multi-gun guy. I find one I like and that's all I shoot.
Now all that said, I haven't looked at the Lyman's for awhile. I had to go look and see what the Lyman "signature" rifle was. That's a good looking rifle. I like that one a lot. I think I'd pick that over the inline, especially knowing that you lean more towards the traditionals as is. Plus, a 1-24" twist .54? That sounds like a good time for sure.
Good luck with your decision. It's gonna be tough.

I don't get the Hunter using a 1-24 twist? Isn't that too fast except for long conicals that weigh a ton?

I'll stick to the 1-66 for the one I ordered.

Back