KY early ML Doe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStanley

Reaction score
This past weekend was the KY early ML season and I was really excited to get back in the field with my White S91 .451 loaded with Edmehlig's Gould's HP. Saturday morning was soggy but I still saw two does that I jumped on the way in :wall: . The rain blew out and the mid-day allowed for some needed stand maintenance for my hunting buddies that couldn't come in this weekend. I'm blessed to hunt this particular lease in remote central KY so I try to pay it forward by checking their setups and putting out some corn near each of their stands. Back in my mirror blind for an evening sit watching some active scrapes and BOY was it windy. I wasn't sure I'd see any deer that evening but a bachelor group came out with about 45 min. of shooting light left and worked the scrapes/licking branches pretty hard just out of my peep sight comfort range, about 205-210 yds on my rangefinder. Next, two does joined the boys and the group just couldn't get comfortable with all that wind and eventually left me there alone in the dark. No complaints, I loved seeing them do their thing despite the heavy wind.

Sunday evening was picture perfect. Wind was nearly zero and the air was clear & cold, sky cloudless and I was really pumped for them to return to the field. This time, a lone mature doe entered the field way down at the opposite end and fed calmly for about 20 min. well out of range and then disappeared down the same trail she came down earlier. Finally the boys came back and started moving my way this time. One was a little forkhorn, one was a small 8 pt who, if he survives will be very tall tined next year. The 3rd was a legitimate shooter :applause: . Problem is, he is smart enough to hang back out of range while the two punks wander up right on me. After about 10 min. of fixation on this nice buck, I'm blasted out of concentration by the blow of 3 does off the other corner of my blind. How did they sneak up so close on me?? :oops: They stood 30-40 yards from me and blew non-stop for about 10 min. without going anywhere. Eventually the big buck heard all he wanted and snuck away quietly leaving the 2 punks in the field with me. So here I am in my mirror blind (my homemade version of the ghost blind), with 5 deer anywhere from 30-45 yds away from me. This was a great problem to have! Since the biggest doe ran my shooter buck off, I decided to start filling my freezer with her. Ed's bullet performed flawlessly with a double lung shot that went just above and behind the heart. She never took a step. 70 gr. T73F, fiber wad and RWS primer. Even though I dragged my tail to work this morning after working on the deer until after 11pm, it is a wonderful kind of tired!

Jackie, glad that Gould bullet worked out for you. That bullet is becoming my favorite bullet to shoot as 99.9 % of all my shots are 75yds or less. Would I hesitate on using it further say to 100-150 yds? I wouldn’t Hesitate. By the way that 70gr of 777-3F or Swiss 3F are my favorite loads as well.

Hey Art, where did you get those over powder wads you sent to me? I really like those.

Thanks Art. This will give me some good experimenting to do after season is over. I’ll try the wool and card type wads in a side by side comparison. I definitely need more excuses to go shooting :D

Yup, I haven't used the wool but, after reading how much better it is, I may get some of them to try out too. Kind of hard to beat the groups I'm getting now though.

Congrats on taking the pressure off and putting some good eating in your freezer!

Back