Knight Original DISC Bare 209, FINALLY!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I received my Knight Mountaineer 209 FPJ Bolt Kit today, and installed this new bolt into my Original DISC rifle, which now has the Lehigh DISC Extreme BP installed. I inserted the 209 primer adapter in the FPJ bolt, and inserted the assembly into my rifle. Installed the bolt retainer screw into the side of the receiver, and finally, a perfect fit! Now the rifle is correct!

Attachments

• F94270A1-9F20-4451-A005-66AA2D17AF62.jpeg
    F94270A1-9F20-4451-A005-66AA2D17AF62.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 095FFE19-DC91-4A2A-BD13-DAA457CD8056.jpeg
    095FFE19-DC91-4A2A-BD13-DAA457CD8056.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 7CDB6FB4-198A-4F77-B959-B59CF7B133E7.jpeg
    7CDB6FB4-198A-4F77-B959-B59CF7B133E7.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Let me make sure i got this.

Mountaineer FPJ bolt kit from Sportmans
Lehigh DE plug and Non FPJ adapter

No clearance issue with the adapter and plug?.....................Reason i ask is mine is a tad too much on a Ulite barrel and a DISC barrel but im using a old Elite chromed bolt body.

Let me make sure i got this.

Mountaineer FPJ bolt kit from Sportmans
Lehigh DE plug and Non FPJ adapter

No clearance issue with the adapter and plug?.....................Reason i ask is mine is a tad too much on a Ulite barrel and a DISC barrel but im using a old Elite chromed bolt body.

No clearance issues, it all fit perfectly.

Can you name every part that you had to order and will this fit a 45 cal. I have an original disc in a 45 I would love to do this to.

There are two ways to go bare primer on the old DISC.

1) Mountaineer or Ulite bare primer bolt body from Sportmans and Lehigh Extreme/Elite plug (4 extra vents recommended to save on future shipping)

2) Mountaineer FPJ bolt body from Sportmans, Lehigh Extreme/Elite plug and Lehigh Non-FPJ adapter. Cost is about $14.50 more this way but its a bit easier to load a primer into the adapter vs a bare primer bolt body. (4 extra vents recommended to save on future shipping)

The older DISC bolt internals will fit. They screw right in. All you need is you C-tool or wrench. Knight even has a video of it on Youtube.

^^^^
Ive done it three times now. On an Original DISC, an Ultra Lite, and a 54-120GM. Always the same way, a Mountaineer FPJ bolt body and a Lehigh/SSK adapter and Lehigh/SSK bare primer breech plug with vent liners(whichever was appropriate to that particular barrel). I haven't had to do any mods to any of them.

Method #1 parts links
Lehigh breech plug ($16.50) Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer, Knight DISC Elite, Extreme, Master Hunter, and Long Range Hunter
Sportsmans bare primer bolt body Kit ($64.97) Knight Mountaineer 209 Bare Primer Conversion Kit

Method #2 parts links
Lehigh breech plug ($16.50) Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer, Knight DISC Elite, Extreme, Master Hunter, and Long Range Hunter
Lehigh Non-FPJ adapter ($14.50) Bare Primer Adapter, Knight DISC Elite/Extreme
Sportmans Non-FPJ kit (69.97) (you wont be using the included plug) Knight Mountaineer Full Plastic Conversion Kit

Optional extra vent liners $22 Breech Plug, Vent Liner

You WONT use the plug that comes with either kit from Sportmans unless you have a Ulite or Mountaineer. Then you could use them as a backup if needed.

SO, I have a question that I am sure has been done to death but I need someone smarter than me to straighten me out please.

I have a disc original and a bolt body from a RED FPJ Elite. Cant I simply swap the bolt body over with the Elite original bolt and use the SSK adaptor and plug to go bare primer? If not why not and what can I do to make the DISC Elite bolt body work in my original?

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks

SO, I have a question that I am sure has been done to death but I need someone smarter than me to straighten me out please.

I have a disc original and a bolt body from a RED FPJ Elite. Cant I simply swap the bolt body over with the Elite original bolt and use the SSK adaptor and plug to go bare primer? If not why not and what can I do to make the DISC Elite bolt body work in my original?

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks
I think I’m right when I say Yes you can. The adapter fits in the FPJ bolt whether it’s an Elite, Mountaineer, or Ultralight.

I’m sure others will chime in here.

Knight bolts.jpegKnight plugs.jpeg
So, at the risk of seeming stupid and having folks yelling, the questions that I am trying to ask are...
  • Will the internals of the original bolt function correctly in the later Extreme RED FPJ bolt body shown below?
  • Will the RED FPJ bolt fitted with the original internals work in my DISC original rifle with the Extreme RED FPJ breech plug using RED FPJ primer adapters?
  • If not, why not?
  • If the answer is yes, can I then simply buy the SSK adaptor & plug if I want to go bare primer?
  • On the Knight site I can purchase a conversion bolt kit to convert from Orange FPJ to RED FPJ. When ordering you are required to tick a box if the bolt is for a DISC original because there is some additional machining required. What is that machining exactly, does anyone know.
  • Ultimately, I want to go bare primer and I don't want to break the bank. What is the best way to achieve this. Spares for Knight rifles are not as cheap as they once were.
Can some one give me a solution that isn't going to break the bank.

Thanks

View attachment 32230View attachment 32231
So, at the risk of seeming stupid and having folks yelling, the questions that I am trying to ask are...
  • Will the internals of the original bolt function correctly in the later Extreme RED FPJ bolt body shown below?
  • Will the RED FPJ bolt fitted with the original internals work in my DISC original rifle with the Extreme RED FPJ breech plug using RED FPJ primer adapters?
  • If not, why not?
  • If the answer is yes, can I then simply buy the SSK adaptor & plug if I want to go bare primer?
  • On the Knight site I can purchase a conversion bolt kit to convert from Orange FPJ to RED FPJ. When ordering you are required to tick a box if the bolt is for a DISC original because there is some additional machining required. What is that machining exactly, does anyone know.
  • Ultimately, I want to go bare primer and I don't want to break the bank. What is the best way to achieve this. Spares for Knight rifles are not as cheap as they once were.
Can some one give me a solution that isn't going to break the bank.

Thanks
Greg, yes your original bolt internals will go into the extreme bolt body and function correctly.
It most likely will go right into your Original Disc gun with out the machining mod. Ive never had to have it done so i don't want to be the one to say what it is, in case i get it wrong, but it is very minor.
If that is a pic of what you already have then all you need is the SSK bare primer adapter and the bare primer breech plug. I will include links to both.
Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer, Knight DISC Elite, Extreme, Master Hunter, and Long Range Hunter

https://www.sskfirearms.com/bare-primer-adapter-knight-disc-elite-extreme.html
These two items should cost you $31 usd plus shipping.

Latest posts

Back