Lets talk about TC Shock Waves

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used an SST to take an animal, but I do think some of the negative rap they've gotten is due to too much powder/pellets and/or poor shot placement. And too some might happen when shots are taken that are unreasonably long with too light of a load. For certain though, some people hate them and some love them. I have three boxes of the SSTs in both .40 and .45 cal and use them on paper occasionally with excellent accuracy.

Personally, I have shot a ton of deer with XTP's from 200 grain in the .45 to 240 to 300 grains in the .50s and I never had a bullet failure. I shoot Barnes expanders in the .45 cal rifles and a 250 grain XPB in the Accura and a 225 grain XPB in the Optima pistol and have had zero issues with any of the Barnes products. I do have some Lehigh brass segmenting bullets to try but for hunting I just can't get past the shedding of those petals. I know many here use the Lehighs but I'm just not there yet on deer.

Hadn't deer hunted seriously since 2015 when my hunting buddy died. But when I made the conversion to a modern muzzleloader I used 150 grains pryodex and 250 grain TC Shockwave in my 50 caliber Encore. Never had +20 deer take more than 5 steps when shot. Devastating round,

Back