Load recipe for a bullet, a rifle or both?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
One thing I was reminded of this week and maybe I don't consider it enough coming from a centerfire background where I worried about an action being blueprinted, about neck tension, about bullet jump ,about primers, about nodes up and down the powder load. When a good bullet gets the right pressure and swells it's going to perform its best, these two things when they are balanced most of the time give me the accuracy that I'm looking for, I don't shoot solid barns Etc type bullets I know some people do I'm sure that that is getting the back of the bullet sealed and the gas sealed correctly. Even with the plastic load I think it is the same dynamic I guess where I'm going with this is if you're going to shoot a particular bullet just because the first couple of groups maybe even the first three groups aren't what you want keep working that charge up slightly or down slightly it is amazing what just a slight bump up or down can do actually in a muzzle loading barrel the dynamics of great harmonics shouldn't be so complex not near as much as they are in a centerfire I think a lot of us have complexity because a lot of us are dealing with bores that are uneven. That's a whole other topic,,,,, I think it is more finding a bullets sweet spot than a rifles ,not that the rifle doesn't have a sweet spot for a favorite powder Etc I think we focused too much sometimes on the rifle and not enough on the bullet.

Not sure but, it might be related to the bores?
Experience in my current custom 45cal tells me that almost any bullet will shoot from it. That doesn't mean that one bullet won't be more accurate than another. I don't shoot copper bullets anymore, but of the bullets I do shoot, using a wad, all obturate well and are accurate. It has been said that the thinner jacketed bullets are better for BH209. That's not the case from a top quality bore IMO. I have 275gr and 300gr Pittman Accumax bullets with .015" jackets. They shoot well. However, I have the Arrowhead XLD bullets with .021" thick jackets. Shooting 120grs VOLUME of BH with both bullets, the .021" thick jacketed XLD's are much more accurate.
Where I find the most variation is when shooting SML. That presents a different challenge and I always perform Satterlee testing to determine the best node. Some bullets do require work.

Latest posts

Back