54 caliber bullet recommendation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tc280

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I’ve purchased a Knight Black Knight 54 caliber over the summer, just shot it for the first time yesterday. I loaded Barnes 325 expander mz with the supplied sabots and it is extremely hard to load. I shot it 5 times with good accuracy, but am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for any easier loading bullet/sabot? This is for deer hunting only. Thanks Mike

Yeah they are rough loading in mine too. Problem is there is only 1 54x50 sabot and Barnes bullets tend to run on the small side. So even swapping bullets to say a Speer 325gr JHP it wont be any easier to load. Barnes red and MMP purple sabots are both made by MMP. I never noticed either being easier/harder to load.

The Harvester red 54x45 sabot is easier to load and its a super tough sabot too.

Yeah they are rough loading in mine too. Problem is there is only 1 54x50 sabot and Barnes bullets tend to run on the small side. So even swapping bullets to say a Speer 325gr JHP it wont be any easier to load. Barnes red and MMP purple sabots are both made by MMP. I never noticed either being easier/harder to load.

The Harvester red 54x45 sabot is easier to load and its a super tough sabot too.
I measured the bullet in the supplied sabot at .547, then measured the same bullet in a purple sabot at .544. Not sure if it is enough to make a difference in loading.

In my knight I run the harvester sabot, with either nosler 240 or xtp 250 gr.

Agreed, that’s a lot when it comes to loading tolerances. You should notice a difference..but also I might add..have you ever tried to polish the bore? Some 000 steel wool And a dab of oil can make a big difference when it comes to loading a rifle.

Agreed, that’s a lot when it comes to loading tolerances. You should notice a difference..but also I might add..have you ever tried to polish the bore? Some 000 steel wool And a dab of oil can make a big difference when it comes to loading a rifle.
I’ll try pushing one down with the purple sabots, if that doesn’t work I’ll give your polishing a try.

My mk85 loads them tough as well, polishing the bore did help a bit. I actually tried lastnight with both sabots and didn’t notice a difference between the 2. But the base cup on the sabot is different..so I am
Thinking they are a different sabot or maybe the design changed over the years I will say I have never shot the red sabot version..I have 2 packages of them..the hard loading hasn’t ever really bothered because I don’t use them much, I like my Buffalo bullet conicals but I am running low
On them..so it would be nice to get another load in without having to clean between
Shots with the sabots if I choose to use them in the future

I load the Speer 325 in a MMP Purple sabot in mine. It doesn't load easy, but it's not horrible.

My mk85 loads them tough as well, polishing the bore did help a bit. I actually tried lastnight with both sabots and didn’t notice a difference between the 2. But the base cup on the sabot is different..so I am
Thinking they are a different sabot or maybe the design changed over the years I will say I have never shot the red sabot version..I have 2 packages of them..the hard loading hasn’t ever really bothered because I don’t use them much, I like my Buffalo bullet conicals but I am running low
On them..so it would be nice to get another load in without having to clean between
Shots with the sabots if I choose to use them in the future
Track of the Wolf Muzzleloading has a couple of offerings in a 54 caliber conical bullet. I tried some 54 cal. Powerbelts in my sidehammer but they just didn't perform well. Maybe the barrel twist? 1/48.

Track of the Wolf Muzzleloading has a couple of offerings in a 54 caliber conical bullet. I tried some 54 cal. Powerbelts in my sidehammer but they just didn't perform well. Maybe the barrel twist? 1/48.
Could have been..but I also know may riflesnwith 1/48 twist that shoot conicals well..I’ll cast my own before I waste money on a PB..

My Knight shoots the 330 grain Rainer bullet in the purple sabot very well..it’s made for the .50 Beowulf but I have yet to try it on a deer or heard of anyone using them
On deer

As far as i know Rainier is gone. You wont see the super cheap bulk bullet packs at MidwayUSA or Grafs anymore. The 330gr will hammer deer just fine but the Speer 325gr is the better bullet. They are just a total PITA to find in stock.

As far as i know Rainier is gone. You wont see the super cheap bulk bullet packs at MidwayUSA or Grafs anymore. The 330gr will hammer deer just fine but the Speer 325gr is the better bullet. They are just a total PITA to find in stock.
Wow…I ended up with 250 of these ranier
Bullets from my local gun store. Glad I got them when they were around

Are the Speer 325 the same bullets Knight packaged up with red sabots?
Nope, my MK85 54cal came with Speer 50 325gr JHPs and purple sabots. The Barnes 325gr sold as redhots may have used the Barnes red sometimes. Ive seen them ship with MMP purples. The MMP red is a 54x45 sabot.

Back