54 caliber bullet recommendation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve never used heavy lead, how are they for loading?
I shoot pure lead, bore to 1 thou over and loading has never been an issue.
If I shoot real black - I’ll wipe between shots, not needed with BH209.

Last edited:
Not sure what you’re looking for?
I made a series of molds (photo: 45, 50, 52) for some of my rifles over the years. I didn’t make a 54, I had Accurate Copy my 52 and just enlarged it.

View attachment 28808
Do you size these to your bore are are they cast at the size you need?

Killed deer with the HP flavor? If so I assume pretty good results with good expansion and exit holes?

I do not size these. My bore is .540 and I made the top band 0.002” over so others would be sure to catch/center the rifling.
I use a wad.
I lube mine and run a cookie cutter over them to remove the excess lube.
I modified the Accurate Mold to yield a 540gr bullet (54cal), just for the heck of it. My HP went thru thus Buck at 95yds.
I would not hesitate to shoot the solid - the large meplat will be just as effective.

I like the 425gr Maxi from Dixie Gun Works. About 47 cents each with shipping. Load with ease in my CVA "traditional" percussion and shoot great over 60 or 90gr of 3F. I lube 'em with 50/50 crisco and beeswax. Need to try some over powder wads...

1671116169645.png

The Barnes 325 gr Expander w/purple sabot load very hard in my .54 T/C Firehawk but they are very accurate and put a big hole in a deer..even though they load super hard I shot a huge doe one evening at 30 yds and she ran off, another big doe with her walked out of thicket and stood in exact spot, stood there while I loaded again and shot her. Took me a good 3 minutes to load due to going slow and so hard to get round down barrel..
Most times your only going to need to shoot once if you do your part so I wouldnt worry about them being stiff to load if they are accurate.

The Barnes 325 gr Expander w/purple sabot load very hard in my .54 T/C Firehawk but they are very accurate and put a big hole in a deer..even though they load super hard I shot a huge doe one evening at 30 yds and she ran off, another big doe with her walked out of thicket and stood in exact spot, stood there while I loaded again and shot her. Took me a good 3 minutes to load due to going slow and so hard to get round down barrel..
Most times your only going to need to shoot once if you do your part so I wouldnt worry about them being stiff to load if they are accurate.
I agree, I’ve never needed more than one shot from a muzzleloader. The 325 is accurate in my rifle, but I will be looking for something easier loading at the range.

Back