Loading Procedure Safely

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I’d share what I do in my loading procedure to help negate or effectively mitigate the “ human error “ out of the equation for the safety factor.
I normally shoot 3 shot groups when load testing, whether it’s new bullets or new powder or diff charge weights.
I set my 3 tubes in front of me, all caps facing away from me.
I set my 3 wads then 3 bullets then 3 primer modules all in rows in the order they get loaded.
I put my load thru funnel in my brake, take the tube farthest right, dump it, put tube back with cap facing me. Load, then place funnel next to powder tubes ( so I never forget to remove it & put a round thru it - again ) lastly, the old module comes out & the new one goes in & flip safety to on position, set gun in place in my rest, or on the bags.
That’s it. This way no matter if I get distracted with someone there with me? Or my focus just isn’t where it needs to be, I simply just need to look at my load set up in front of me & know 100% where I stopped in my loading procedure. I don’t need to think about it, I don’t need to drop my ramrod down my barrel, nothing.
Notice the difference in how the powder tubes are in pic 2 & see how many bullets, wads, & modules are there.
This gives me the peace of mind knowing I’m safe from screwing up & possibly causing a catastrophic event due to unnecessary mistakes or lapses in attention.
I realized after I posted this that I didn’t set the wads, bullets & modules in the correct loading order, so here is a pic of everything positioned as it should be. So I added the 3rd pic to show the right way to set these up.

Attachments

• IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0485.jpeg
    IMG_0485.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0486.jpeg
    IMG_0486.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Great post. Basically my routine as well. Although I add two steps. Before I load, I always check that the rifle is not primed and then I look down the barrel to verify that I can see light coming through the plug. Then I load.

Great post. Basically my routine as well. Although I add two steps. Before I load, I always check that the rifle is not primed and then I look down the barrel to verify that I can see light coming through the plug. Then I load.
Thanks, & Thanks for adding the other two steps. Both are very important to do - before you even start the steps I've listed.

I thought I’d share what I do in my loading procedure to help negate or effectively mitigate the “ human error “ out of the equation for the safety factor.
I normally shoot 3 shot groups when load testing, whether it’s new bullets or new powder or diff charge weights.
I set my 3 tubes in front of me, all caps facing away from me.
I set my 3 wads then 3 bullets then 3 primer modules all in rows in the order they get loaded.
I put my load thru funnel in my brake, take the tube farthest right, dump it, put tube back with cap facing me. Load, then place funnel next to powder tubes ( so I never forget to remove it & put a round thru it - again ) lastly, the old module comes out & the new one goes in & flip safety to on position, set gun in place in my rest, or on the bags.
That’s it. This way no matter if I get distracted with someone there with me? Or my focus just isn’t where it needs to be, I simply just need to look at my load set up in front of me & know 100% where I stopped in my loading procedure. I don’t need to think about it, I don’t need to drop my ramrod down my barrel, nothing.
Notice the difference in how the powder tubes are in pic 2 & see how many bullets, wads, & modules are there.
This gives me the peace of mind knowing I’m safe from screwing up & possibly causing a catastrophic event due to unnecessary mistakes or lapses in attention.
I realized after I posted this that I didn’t set the wads, bullets & modules in the correct loading order, so here is a pic of everything positioned as it should be. So I added the 3rd pic to show the right way to set these up.
Great system. Are those Parker bullets? I’ve tried them but I don’t have the loading jag that he sells and even my Barnes jag was messing up the ballistic tips.

Great system. Are those Parker bullets? I’ve tried them but I don’t have the loading jag that he sells and even my Barnes jag was messing up the ballistic tips.
TY. Like El D said, I loves ma Fury bullets. That spinjag I got from Parker Bullets for his Black Max & Match Hunters, so no poly tips ever getting damaged or hung up in it & lifting the bullet off the charge. SPINJAG - Never a prob with poly tips.

Back