Looking for some help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowanna

Stupidity knows no bounds but knows many people!
Supporting member
Reaction score
I just purchased a Traditions Pursuit G4 ultra lite(I know it's been discontinued but I just couldn't help myself due to the price)
Now I already own a CVA Optima pro magnum .50 cal and have dealt with the rath of recoil for years. This rifle being and ultra lite has me concerned about recoil so my question is does anyone know where I can obtain a muzzle brake for said rifle. I'm not going to order one until I site it in and decide if a brake is necessary but to have the info before hand will be helpful in the future.
Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Brian

I think before I added a brake to the gun, I'd figure out a lighter load/bullet. Brakes might help some with recoil, but they bring with them other headaches.

Thanks MrTom, I am currently using 120 grains of triple 7 pellets in my CVA (can go to 150 grains but not this guy) and will only be able to go as high as 100 grains with this Traditions rifle so it will be a small step down, but just wanting the info just in case. Recoil was the fun part of shooting as a young man but now in my middle 60's it seems to take some of the fun out of it.

Hi Brian, muzzlebrakes and sabots usually do not go together if you are shooting sabots that is, the petals can hit the sides of the brake getting accuracy issues..i think the 100 grain, 2 pellet load will be alot tamer for you also...maybe not needing or wanting a brake.

Get the brake. enjoy shooting the new weapon. I had on put on my SS savage. sub inch groups with sabots.

Thanx Shorty, I'm hoping load difference is the ticket as well. I've been experimenting with fury bullets over pellets in my CVA with great results and figured I'd try them in the Traditions.

Now I run 70 grains pyrodex, 240 grain sabot in a CVA HunterBolt and a Buck Horn Magnum, I know I know old crap, it works. For the longer shots I do 100 grains pyrodex. But only while target or plinking have I ever stepped up to 100 grains. due to woods/swamp/lake most my hunting shots are less than 80 yards or so.

Hi Brian, muzzlebrakes and sabots usually do not go together if you are shooting sabots that is, the petals can hit the sides of the brake getting accuracy issues..i think the 100 grain, 2 pellet load will be alot tamer for you also...maybe not needing or wanting a brake.
I agree with you on the not really needing a brake on that gun. You're also correct about the nomal sized muzzlebrakes not working with sabots, but, when you get a brake cut specifically for using sabots ( which is not a big deal to do ) you certainly can use a brake with sabots very accurately.

Latest posts

Back