Need help and have tons of questions about knight tk2000

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They make a gas seal that snaps into the base of those Ranger Elite cups, you should get some to try out. Also i think you will find that a heavier/thicker overshot card will help tighten up your pattern some (like the skychief load

MM , I was unaware of the " Skychief load". Sure doesn't make sense but if it works, it works. Seems as if it would spread the shot. I do see where Skychief is using a conventional ML. Where as I'm TK'ing. Easy to use plastic wads.

Bobbyjoe, Don't mean to highjack your post. MM brought up something intriguing . The beauty of this forum.

MM , I was unaware of the " Skychief load". Sure doesn't make sense but if it works, it works. Seems as if it would spread the shot. I do see where Skychief is using a conventional ML. Where as I'm TK'ing. Easy to use plastic wads.

Bobbyjoe, Don't mean to highjack your post. MM brought up something intriguing . The beauty of this forum.
If i understand his load correctly, a heavy, oil soaked overshot wad keeps the load together longer which helps tighten the pattern. I think the theory holds true for shot-shells and ML shot guns

A relatively light (compared to the lead shot) fiber disk in front of the shot column seems crazy. The shot column would be immediately pushing it and trying to go around it. At some point, the shot column would overtake the wad disrupting the front or the whole column in the process. To achieve a tight pattern you need the shot column to stay tight. Anything in front of it has the potential to disturb it. After reading pages of talk about the Skychief load, I think it’s nonsense. The pattern density he reports at 20 yards is worse than what I’m doing at 60 yards with my turkey loads. And he and others say it doesn’t work in a jug choked shotgun.

I'm still gonna try it. What do I have to loose. 2 ounces of shot and some powder big deal it's called experimenting for a reason. Don't knock something till you try it

Went down this road years ago, finally found what works. I sold the TK and bought a MK-86. Uses REM chokes and opens up a whole new world of patterns for you. I know this isn’t the answer you were looking for, and the MK 86 recoils a lot less than the TK.

If i understand his load correctly, a heavy, oil soaked overshot wad keeps the load together longer which helps tighten the pattern. I think the theory holds true for shot-shells and ML shot guns
MM, Keeping the “load together longer” . Skychief should investigate buffer. :elmer:

Bobbyjoe, How’s the TK going?
It’s a solid performer. Easy to load( one doesn’t have to take the choke out to load using a wad) . Plus because of using a wad one can use TSS shot. ( with appropriate wad)
I’ve read about TK’s having a lot of recoil.
Recoil can be easily calculated using weight of gun, weight of load including powder and velocity.
Some of the posted OEM Knight loads are shoulder dislocators.
But then shoot a 3 1/2 12 gauge 2oz turkey load on 24” bbl light turkey gun. ( Benelli’s not included 😄)

For my TK I installed a limbsaver recoil pad.
I settled on a 1 5/8 TSS / 90 gr vol Black MZ for turkey load. Performs excellent.
Since the Knights have little drop in stock , felt recoil is reduced along with muzzle jump.
Stay with the TK. It’s a heck of a tool.

Last edited:
A Shooter's Friend recoil pad has allowed me to keep hunting with the heaviest 3.5" 12 ga. and TK2000 turkey loads. When testing different loads from the bench I use a lead-sled.

Went down this road years ago, finally found what works. I sold the TK and bought a MK-86. Uses REM chokes and opens up a whole new world of patterns for you. I know this isn’t the answer you were looking for, and the MK 86 recoils a lot less than the TK.
I have yet to shoot 100 grains of powder out theTk

Bobbyjoe, How’s the TK going?
It’s a solid performer. Easy to load( one doesn’t have to take the choke out to load using a wad) . Plus because of using a wad one can use TSS shot. ( with appropriate wad)
I’ve read about TK’s having a lot of recoil.
Recoil can be easily calculated using weight of gun, weight of load including powder and velocity.
Some of the posted OEM Knight loads are shoulder dislocators.
But then shoot a 3 1/2 12 gauge 2oz turkey load on 24” bbl light turkey gun. ( Benelli’s not included 😄)

For my TK I installed a limbsaver recoil pad.
I settled on a 1 5/8 TSS / 90 gr vol Black MZ for turkey load. Performs excellent.
Since the Knights have little drop in stock , felt recoil is reduced along with muzzle jump.
Stay with the TK. It’s a heck of a tool.
I not even tried it for a while life got in the way lol. I've went up to 80 grains of powder and man does she ever thump the shoulder I don't think I'll ever shoot a 100-120 grain load out of this gun it hurts to much. Hell a Remington super mad 870 with 3 1/2 inch magnums don't kick that bad. This gun really does kill at both ends

Back