Need help and have tons of questions about knight tk2000

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbyjoe Surrett

Reaction score
I have no clue where to post this but here goes. I've been muzzlebusting for a few years now I have no problems with my knight rifle. My problem is with the tk2000 shot gun. I've bought powder shot wads cups cards you name it I've pretty much tried it except for the knight shot cups. I need help with a loading that throws a foot tight pattern. my gun patterns pretty good to 30 yards now I'm wanting to go out farther than that. Had a heck of a time pattering to that range. This is my load as follows. 70 grains t7 2fg lubricated wool wad overshot card 3 inch bpi shot cups that is solid and I split myself with four petals magnum #5 shot and 2 overshot cards.i have ordered some ranger elite split wads and copper plated Lawson shot to try to get tighter patterns. I have no clue how much shot the cup I'm using holds due to a lack of scales. Any help would be appreciated and welcomed

Your TK has a jug choke or at least mine did. Pattern is controlled by choke. I am unaware of any aftermarket chokes but there may be some available. A 12 inch pattern with a factory choke at 30 yards is what I would judge to be very tight. An option for pattern density might be TSS shot in a 7 1/2 or 8 if allowed by your local laws.

That I understand and know about the choke. I want to know what technique has been achieved to get tighter patterns. I would use tss but for the price I'll stick with copper plated shot 10 pounds is 71 bucks after shipping. I've got about a 20 inch maybe less size pattern at 30 yards

I have some larger fiber wads never thought to use those I know the cork wads don't work to good over the shot. I have a bag of gas seals I'll see if they will work on those when I get the rangers.

Ok I checked out the link sounds great I will give that a try. Wonder if you can use a shot cup with that also my gun being jug choked I wonder how safe it is

I think you’ll have better luck varying the choke, the plastic wad, shot size/hardness and the cushioning and/or buffering of the shot. The wheel has already been invented with shotshell patterning. If there were any real advantage to the skychief load, I think the major shotshell manufacturers would be loading something like this.

How would you very they choke when it's a fixed choke and there are no aftermarket chokes for this gun. That's shotshell patterning this is a muzzleloader whole different ball game I'm learning

If you’ve done any shotshell reloading, then it’s really not much different. You’re just loading the barrel instead of the shell.

No it's removable but there is only one choke made for it and it's a outside the barrel choke. Also the plastic hull helps with back pressure when you crimp or roll it

So you’ve got the x-full .722”? They made mod and IC as well - not that those would be better than what you have.

I don’t think “back pressure” has anything to do with tighter patterns.

I’d try harder plated shot, buffer and or different wads then.

My White Tominator shotgun shoots fantastic patterns at 60 yards.

I've got some copper plated shot ordered as well as bpi ranger elite pre split wads gonna try them and see what happens

Have you tried fewer slits in your wads or not running the slits to the bottom of the shot cup? Your options are harder shot, buffer and whatever changes you can make to the shot cup. I don’t know what the choke constriction is but there’s only so much you can do with the load and after that you’re either going to have to be satisfied or change something on the front end of the gun.

I haven't tried smaller cuts to the shot cup yet I'm going to tho. Constriction on the choke is either .720 or .722. I have a can of shot buffer as well. How do you mix shot and buffer in a muzzleloader is my next question. Magnum shot works ok but like I said I have some Larson copper plated #5 shot on the way

I haven't tried smaller cuts to the shot cup yet I'm going to tho. Constriction on the choke is either .720 or .722. I have a can of shot buffer as well. How do you mix shot and buffer in a muzzleloader is my next question. Magnum shot works ok but like I said I have some Larson copper plated #5 shot on the way
I think if you put in the shot and then add the buffer it’ll work it’s way between the pellets by itself. Rap the barrel a couple times with your palm if you like.

Bobbyjoe, PM me and I’ll be glad to share my results of TK load experiments. Which is over 40 different powder, wad, shot & OP/OS combinations.
I’ve tested sabot slugs as well.
Last year I nailed a bird @62 yds. Before that busted a coyote at 55yds sniffing my hen decoy.

But for now.
Too much powder blows holes in the pattern. Vice versa not enough shot will result in the same.
Ranger Elites are great wads. So are the TP46.
Use a Wonder Wad lubed on top of powder.
Insert Wad.
Drop the shot with buffer (if using) .
Tap the barrel down at the charge to settle /mix the buffer.
Insert OS card.
Shoot turkey.
I can measure / weigh the combination for you as I have all that stuff.

Last edited:
BPI Ranger Elite #32212 RE
#5 cu plated
Wad filled =1.60 oz
1/8 “ cork wad in base = 1.50oz
1/4” cork wad in base =1.35 oz

#6 lead
Wad filled =1.55oz
1/8” cork = 1 .40 oz
1/4” cork = 1.25 oz.

Room for buffer in all above.
My ML shot speedloader.2ABB6AEE-D739-4351-B83D-ED5FCA4E5740.jpeg