Looking to buy my first Muzzle loader, have questions!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskan Hunter

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a Thomson Center Omega .50 caliber. due to the fact that I live in Alaska, my main game animal is a Moose. I will be traveling to Ohio for deer hunts as well. Here is my question: Will a .50 caliber be enough to bring down a Moose? I know there are larger calibers out there. But due to the fact that I will be Deer hunting with this rifle, I don't want to use to large of a caliber. I guess you could say I want a caliber that will harvest both, Moose and Deer. What do you guys sugjest?

Thanks for the help.
Alaskan Hunter

The 50 will kill it all, bullet selection is what matters. As far as Rifles take a look at the smokeless forum and consider the Savage, it is a better rifle.

The Omega is a great choice if it fits you. You will have lots of bullets to choose from as well. XTP'S, SST'S, and also DeadCenters will be great bullets for what you want to do. My Buddy really likes the 250grn SST with a Harvester sabot. It shoots really well with 110grns of TripleSe7en.

I don't see how you could go wrong with an Omega. All the work has really been done for you; 200/250gr Shockwaves and Pyrodex pellets/loose Triple Se7en. It's really as simple as that and that's about as simple as it gets!

I still wish they would redesign that dern trigger guard and beef up the action a bit. The action may be fine but make SURE you get one that has a good trigger from the get-go, and make sure your trigger finger and hand aren't going to be beaten to a pulp by that guard.

Omega (our friend the poster) and his wife Sandi have certainly had little difficulty harvesting a wide variety of game with their Omega rifles in .50 caliber.

The Omega is a fine rifle I just got back from a Co. elk hunt and 2 elk were harvested with the Omega. Now having said that an Alaska moose can be 3x the size of an Elk. I have hunted Alaska and am well aware of the weather conditions up there. I believe the 50 cal. Omega will do the job with the right bullet (not 348 powerbelts) and with correct shot placement. While I don't believe Moose are hard to kill They still are very big. I would definetly use a heavy bullet at least 300 grains and all copper if legal. Man I would love to try it.
Redclub

Latest posts

Back