My first Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdnelk

Reaction score
First,
Hello I my name is Mark and I have been hunting since the sixties, right now I mainly hunt Duck and Geese and big game with rifle when I can draw.

I am just starting out with muzzleloading and have been doing too much internet searching and hearing a bunch of different information on buying my first muzzleloader and have a few questions to help me buy one. I been on MonsterMuleys asking questions and was directed to this forum, I appreciate being sent here since the amount of information hear for a newbie is overwhelming.

I have 31 Colorado Elk points and not sure if ever I will get a rifle tag for the unit I am after, getting too old (66) and want to hunt while my health is still good. So planning on spending the next year + shooting a muzzleloader, so first I need to buy one. On the reading I have done and for my situation of possibly 1 hunt it seems that the CVA Optima V2 is the path I am looking at. So my question below will be based on the Optima. I know everyone has an opinion and would love to hear all of yours so I can decide.

Here we go
  • What barrel length? The V2 is 26” and the LR is 28”. Thoughts?
    • Also is the length about velocity or sighting accuracy
  • I thought I read that the Thumbhole stock is for shooting with a scope. Or if you buy it its not set up for open sights.
    • Thoughts on the thumbhole stock in general
    • Are both option of stocks come drilled for front and back sights?
  • Is the V2 tapped for open sights?
    • I read somewhere where it was recommended to develop your load with a scope and then go to a peep. I thought that was a great idea, do I need to order something special to do this?
    • I also read about a picatinny rail that I can use with a scope and then a Peep sight? Any insight into this would be appreciated and is there a certain peep that needs to be ordered or do you just use the rail for the scope and then take off to add peep.
  • Nitrate coating. Its clear it better protection but I also read something if you have this you don’t need to worry about lubing inside the barrel between loads(trust me I am not sure what I am asking)
  • Not sure what powder I will be using (buckhorn 209 or 777) but do I need to order 2 Breach Plugs?
    • For right now its for 1 hunt do I just buy the Buckhorn powder (I know $$$) and not deal with cleaning after every shot or crud rings
I will do more reading on sights so I can ask more educated questions

Appreciate any and all help

Thanks in advance

MDNELK

To thumbhole, or not to thumbhole... is personal preference. I carried an MK85 Knight with a thumbhole for years, and used peep sights on it just fine. I also don't know about the Optima specifically, but I can't imagine there would be much difference. The thumbhole stock is a little more awkward to carry, but I like the ergonomics for shooting. Only having one shot, I figured it was more important to make it a good shot, even if it took my another second or so to get the weapon up and on target. The Bighorn I carry now has a regular stock.
The peep I use now is an NECG (New England Custom Gun) and mounts to a weaver style base. If I were inclined, I could mount a scope with quick detachable rings, and swap out for the peep fairly easily. I haven't.
I don't think anyone lubes between shots. Sabots don't need it, and conical bullets are made to be lubed themselves. I use ones that are pre-lubed.
Swabbing the barrel with a clean patch between shots is a whole 'nother rabbit hole, and I do, do that.

I don’t do much of the bp anymore and it’s unfortunate. I load up my stuff for the range and then I say nah I’ll just take the 22. This summer I hope to change that… he says in July.

That being said a few tips from a gun nut who owns over 50 of them.

1. Get the longest barrel you are comfortable with considering the use. Longer barrel generally equates to better accuracy at the very least a longer distance between front and rear sights. I have an ar with a 7.5 barrel that is for inside. It has no sight’s because I won’t be aiming in a self defense situation. I point the pipe and shoot as time is of the essence and hesitation may get you hurt. For hunting however I love the long barrels. Don’t matter if it’s 22 or bp. Unless I want a challenge.

2. As for finish I prefer stainless however this may or may not be counter productive while hunting. As I understand deer track movement not color however reflective light is perceived as movement.

3. I may not make friends saying this but stay away from that over priced black horn. I used traditional bp pyrodex or t7 with more than acceptable results.

4. Water dissolves salts. Salt in bp is why barrels corrode. Water does not dissolve oils. My point is a good cleaning regiment is far more important than finish. If you’re not feeling like cleaning it properly at least make sure all the bits were greased before shooting and you run water through it after shooting.

5. These are my opinions only others may disagree as they have their opinions. As always I can tell you when I think about a logical analytical approach to problems I start with step 1 which is use your brains not marketing hype.

I don’t do much of the bp anymore and it’s unfortunate. I load up my stuff for the range and then I say nah I’ll just take the 22. This summer I hope to change that… he says in July.

That being said a few tips from a gun nut who owns over 50 of them.

1. Get the longest barrel you are comfortable with considering the use. Longer barrel generally equates to better accuracy at the very least a longer distance between front and rear sights. I have an ar with a 7.5 barrel that is for inside. It has no sight’s because I won’t be aiming in a self defense situation. I point the pipe and shoot as time is of the essence and hesitation may get you hurt. For hunting however I love the long barrels. Don’t matter if it’s 22 or bp. Unless I want a challenge.

2. As for finish I prefer stainless however this may or may not be counter productive while hunting. As I understand deer track movement not color however reflective light is perceived as movement.

3. I may not make friends saying this but stay away from that over priced black horn. I used traditional bp pyrodex or t7 with more than acceptable results.

4. Water dissolves salts. Salt in bp is why barrels corrode. Water does not dissolve oils. My point is a good cleaning regiment is far more important than finish. If you’re not feeling like cleaning it properly at least make sure all the bits were greased before shooting and you run water through it after shooting.

5. These are my opinions only others may disagree as they have their opinions. As always I can tell you when I think about a logical analytical approach to problems I start with step 1 which is use your brains not marketing hype.
Good post. We all have our own preferences & opinions, & this may come as a total shock to some..... its perfectly fine to disagree or see things from another not-so-popular perspective, or different than the peanut gallery's perspective.

Latest posts

Back