• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED/ISO Boar Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've killed a few ton of European Wild Boar, and many with 30-06. Sure you can use many other calibers, but there for sure is NOTHING wrong with a 30-06, I only own 3 of 'em, lol. If you're traveling and paying to hunt, absolutely no sense in taking a .22 . . . a big difference between hunting in your back yard for free and going somewhere and paying. But, do what makes you happy, life is short, enjoy it!

Hunting Russian boar they can run 4 or 5 hundred pounds also they can get pretty nasty and are very tough and ornery!.. I want to play it safe and besides its not in my backyard, so I’m going to have to keep it lite, as mentioned before the guide will have safety backup if need be and I always wanted a rifle other then my Encore anyway, don’t get me wrong I love that gun and wouldn’t trade it for nothing, but I need an excuse to get another toy and besides life is short and monetary value of money is probably going to be stripped down to nothing due to inflation or completely gone by September of 2024, so I’l look at the Tikka, thanks very much and also the tried and true Winchester and the Savage 270, or 30-06 and hopefully purchase one… I can’t stand tough decisions I always thinking I made the wrong one?..I got a lotta thinking to do, Well thanks for all your help guys, be good, take care, God Bless.

Hunting Russian boar they can run 4 or 5 hundred pounds also they can get pretty nasty and are very tough and ornery!.. I want to play it safe and besides its not in my backyard, so I’m going to have to keep it lite, as mentioned before the guide will have safety backup if need be and I always wanted a rifle other then my Encore anyway, don’t get me wrong I love that gun and wouldn’t trade it for nothing, but I need an excuse to get another toy and besides life is short and monetary value of money is probably going to be stripped down to nothing due to inflation or completely gone by September of 2024, so I’l look at the Tikka, thanks very much and also the tried and true Winchester and the Savage 270, or 30-06 and hopefully purchase one… I can’t stand tough decisions I always thinking I made the wrong one?..I got a lotta thinking to do, Well thanks for all your help guys, be good, take care, God Bless.
Buy the Tikka. You won't regret it. I stretch my 300WM to 1000yds every summer. Incredibly good steel. Incredibly good barrels. Zero bad things to say about it.

I've killed pigs and big ones with pretty much all of my weapons. Last one to fall was this large sow to my TC Hawken with a PRB. Piggy went 10ft and fell over.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231224_233159_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224_233159_Facebook.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 0
I would take a little different position here rather than find another guide how does that guide know that you're a competent shooter from the discussions you had with him on the phone ?he doesn't know your shooting ability, I think if I was a guide taking people I have never met on hog hunts a 30-06 would be a pretty good recommendation I have killed a gazillion pigs in my life and yes you can kill them with a 22 long rifle probably even a bebe if you put it in the right place I have also seen some Hogs that were hit bad do some pretty crazy stuff as a young man I caught pigs every weekend live, never a knife or a gun only dogs horses and hands I have friends with leg wounds that are hard to describe from Hogs not so much that as a guide I would be concerned about those situations I would feel comfortable with my client shooting a 30-06 and I also can understand suggesting the Firepower

A bad shot on a large Pig is no different than a bad shot on a large Buck you just wounded an animal, the majority of the pigs that I have shot almost always put the bullet behind the ear I have shot many in the shoulder Square and killed them but I've also seen some really big pigs hit in the shoulder do some crazy things before they died. One thing about hog hunting a wounded hog is a little bit different animal than a wounded deer you'd be wise to remember that.

Tikka great choice I have one in 338 Federal and shoots lights out. Nice having a detachable magazine also. Can't go wrong with 30-06 It I was only allowed to own one gun. A 06 would be it and would not feel under gunned for any North American game except maybe Grizzley.

Last edited:
Alright Guys this is my last post on this matter and I really appreciate your expertise and you help in helping a fellow hunter and friend… I have decided on the caliber of choice it’s going to be the 30-06 hands dow, that’s what I wan, now’s comes the hard part!.. I have been looking at the manufacturers you suggested and it’s comes down to two and their relatively close to price maybe one being a little higher than the other, but on not really sure if it’s worth it?.. That’s where all you seasoned veterans teach the trench private how to proceed?.. This might be an easy one I’m not sure?..
Here it goes
(1) Tikka T3X Hunter = $1,000.00 these are rounded off a little bit but their true prices are close to these.
(2) Sako S20 Hunter = $ 1,400.00.

Im going to lay away on payment, so either way I’ll be paying for at least 5-6 months. Thank You.

I'm a big fan of both, if I could afford the sako that's what I would buy,, you will be well served with either one I remember Tika was once owned by sako,, the older sako models just had a little bit better finish especially the Bluing. A couple of the most forgiving barrels I've ever had were on older sakos,, and I find myself still constantly looking today at older used Tikka models it's too bad that Remington and some of the other American Rifle builders have not held the same standards as the companies you're looking at have

Latest posts

Back