Mr. Buck in Iowaaahhhh!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockram

Reaction score
It's been an interesting year. This spring was really wet the grass was growing good. Then in the summer it stopped raining and got blistering hot. Oh! would you look there all my fawns are getting around good. We had a few that didn't fair to well there tounge turned blue and they died. But now it's fall and I got the ladies lined up. There is still some of them young bucks trying to hone in on my ladies but I've got a trick or two up my hoof. I've got 3 of the hottest babes right now. We're heading to the creek. Dolly Doe
says it's about time to get to know each other a little better. We got near the pond and Dolly said she smelled a human. I didn't believe her so I went to the same spot. I told her I didn't see any humans. Then I felt this deep penetrating pain in my chest. I thought I was having a heart attack. That was the last thing I remember.

Saturday Dec 28. Sun was shining brightly a warm 52 degrees. Snow melting, ground thawing the banks of the creek were getting muddy and slick. To the north knee hi golden brown grass swaying in the breeze. Wind from the south at about 6mph. From the creek bed 200 yds to the northwest a dam about 300' tall sloping towards me. straight north a hill about 500' tall and about 500 yds to the ridge. to the NE the valley went for a couple miles. Cottonwoods and cedars spread through out the valley floor. A few cedars on the hillside. The ridge line covered mostly with cedars. 120 yards from the creek heading north is a terrace with a couple cedars. Deer sign and trails covered the area. I laid on the creek bank in the mud laying low as the wind was at my back. 3 large does came over the hill from the north. a minute later the buck. They came down into a brush pile to the NNE. The biggest doe came out onto the terrace and quartered to me. the wind straight up my back into her nose. She looked right at me but could not see me. I lined up for the shot then she moved back to join the rest. Mr. Buck being the typical male with only one thing in mind when in the midst of his harem, Could not believe what the old doe had told him. Came to the same place she was in. As I contemplated the irony of this move I figured if your that stupid! Taking aim with the help of 2 triple 7 pellets the red saboted 300gr bloodline unleashed it's fury. Flying across 125 yards of grass. Finding it's mark center of the chest making it's way thru the heart, right lung and out just behind the right shoulder. The large buck jumped spun 180 degrees took 1 more jump and dropped 20' from impact.

This was my first Deer with muzzle loader He is very symmetrical. 5x6 on the 5 side he has a 6th that is starting I'm working on loading pic.

:yeah:
CONGRATS :!: :!: :!: Great story :partyman: Really like how you wrote it as seen thru the eyes of the deer and then the hunter 8) Very clever :yeah: :yeah:

Ray............ :wink:

Congrats and good write up. Looking forward to the pics.

Congratulations on the harvest and it was a good read. I enjoyed your post.

Congrads. Very cool write up too! Since this was your First ML Harvest I would bet you are now hooked for life like the rest of us. :wink:

That didn't work as well as I planned. I'm having trouble posting a pic.

rockram,

Nice buck, Congrads again. I'd a squeezed the trigger on him too!

As a side note if you copy the IMG code from photobucket, you can just paste it like a link in your post, no need to click on the img button at the top of the post box. You can edit your post and just remove the first and last

Yes, nice Buck.
I'm a little jealous of the late hunting seasons. Guess I need to visit my relatives in the South during deer season.

Latest posts

Back