Muzzleloader friendly range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly never been to or heard of a anti muzzle loader range. Before I moved to Michigan I spent thirty-two years in New Hampshire where ML’s are almost as common as centerfires. The only ranges that are getting picky are those that don’t want semi-auto tactical rifles who shoot up target stands, leave steel or brass on the ground and enjoy ‘ ammo dumps’

Rick

I have a choice of two ranges. Both allow muzzy's and both are near the same river. Both decent but not great. The problem sometimes is flooding which closes the range of one of them. The other closes for the first four months of the year.

Welcome from S.Ohio! I've got several places to go out and shoot my muzzleloaders and 1 just so happens to be my front yard! I'm blessed to be living in the country! My neighbor has 2 other ranges setup that I'm able to use anytime! 😁

The range I go to has never raised an issue with my muzzleloader. In fact, several people have made favorable comments about my Zouave rifle.

I have never had a problem shooting my muzzleloaders. I DO take steps to stay away from the modern guns and clean up my firing position. I try select a position close to a trash can and use it. Everyone has been friendly and interested in my muzzleloaders. They really get interested when I chronograph my loads. I think being friendly and considerate is key to getting along with people.

I have never had a problem shooting my muzzleloaders. I DO take steps to stay away from the modern guns and clean up my firing position. I try select a position close to a trash can and use it. Everyone has been friendly and interested in my muzzleloaders. They really get interested when I chronograph my loads. I think being friendly and considerate is key to getting along with people.
A little respect & common courtesy do go a long way with keeping the peace. I haven't had to use public ranges too many times in my life & have been fortunate enough to have been takin to a cpl clubs ranges as a guest a few times. I've been on ranges where a few ppl really didn't like havin a big booming smokepole goin off at the firing line, but far more times where ppl were cool with it & shooting the muzzleloaders did bring interest, questions & great interaction between us. We did notice that the bulk of the griping was from the guys downwind of us & the smoke clouds messed with them.

My range is private. I am attaching a picture of me shooting a 54 cap lock Hawken rifle. I am doing a 80 grV 10-shot test with a chronograph. I am attaching the results of the test.

Attachments

• club range photo 1.jpg
    club range photo 1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • a-10 shot velocity test.xlsx
    12.4 KB · Views: 0
Range I'm a member of allows anything and everything.

I once counter-balanced my buddy shooting his FA beltfed (1919a4) on a tripod mount by interspersing his "braaap" with booms from my .54 and 80gr of 3Fg

But @Ninering62 has a nice set up too, if he can keep it mowed :)

I have seen problems is on public and state run ranges. I think the lack of knowledge in shooting is the cause. Some range officers are very power hungry. I use the chronograph a lot and I have a shooting range on the family farm. When I do testing rather than common shooting I use the private range. A person made a very interesting statement several years ago. Some people should not be in the same room with a gun let alone being aloud to load and fire that gun. This fits some of the people on these public and state run ranges. I try to avoid problems when I can and be a nice guy.

Latest posts

Back