My birthday present...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I had some time so I decided to dress her up :yeah:

Gotta say, the X7, warne bases/rings, and Omega 3-9x40 appear to be a match made in heaven! Hopefully I'll get some time to dial her in this month. :D

a770889f-cac6-4dcc-804c-bea2892c3f98_zpsywag2g3f.jpg

Be sure to check the screws holding the lugs. Locktite them. Both of my x7's were loose...

Me thinks he is referring to the screws holding the lugs to the barrel. The lugs catch the screws holding the stock. First photo shows front lug.

IMG_2327.JPG

Next photo shows the screws holding the lug to the barrel. They have a T8 torx head.

IMG_2337.JPG

The next photo shows the rear lug, and the location of the screws. The rear lug also holds the trigger assembly. The last photo shows the front screw in the rear lug; the rear screw is covered by the trigger assembly.

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2340.JPG

To access the screws i had to grind the T8 bit so it would clear the holes in the lug. Another issue i experienced was the lug screws in one rifle were too long; the lug never got tight to the barrel.

Great photos Ron, thankyou for taking the time to share.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Yes, thanks Ron :yeah:
I'll take her apart and check it out when I get a chance. :D

Seems to me like those lugs should be welded, at least in my mind that makes more sense. I guess if I tighten/locktite them it should be fine.

It seems like the older Omega rifles has at least one of the lugs welded. To get at the screw covered by the trigger assembly requires one to remove the trigger assembly. If the lug is tight the job is done. If the lug is loose, and needs that screw tightened, help is here. Removing just one pin may allow access to the screw; don't remember.

No, i was ron. To access the rear screw one needs to remove the trigger assembly from the lug. This require the removal of two pins. One end of the pins are knurled. Drive them out from the other side.

Here is that 3 shot group shot from my 'new' Omega X7. Both lugs are held with screws. Load was 75 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, 300 grain XTP, black crush rib sabot, W209 primer. Deer came home with me due to this rifle/load.

IMG_1865.JPG

Thank you to ronLaughlin. Your post should added to the FAQ or at least a sticky. The last post is the first stainless welded lug I have ever seen. Pretty cool. I have an x7 that I need the rear lug welded due to a loose screw issue....

Well I took her apart... it has the black lugs like Ron posted. And YES the front one was loose! I took em out, add a little locktite and hopefully it should be good to go! Rear was solid as a rock, I torqued on the one screw I could get and it was tight.

Now, to find some time to shoot her. I wonder what loads will she like.... :think: :think:

Thanks for all the tips and advice so far! :D

Wondering about a load..............300g XTP, black crush rib, W209, 90g Blackhorn is one place to start. This past season the load that killed my deer was the 300 xtp pushed by 105g Blackhorn. No bullet is more accurate in my rifles than the xtp. No blackhorn, no problem; use what you have.

ronlaughlin said:
Wondering about a load..............300g XTP, black crush rib, W209, 90g Blackhorn is one place to start. This past season the load that killed my deer was the 300 xtp pushed by 105g Blackhorn. No bullet is more accurate in my rifles than the xtp. No blackhorn, no problem; use what you have.

I do have Blackhorn and W209's. Just picked up another jug at Gander last week on clearance. :yeah:
I'll have to see about getting some 300Xtp. I may have some 250's somewhere, and I know I have some 240 Deep Curls and 260 Speer JHP. Also have some 250 Lehigh/Bloodlines I may try. I gotta dig through my mess and see what I have.

My old Omega, same as the one as Ron posted recently, loves 100gr 209 and 250gr SST. Shoots same hole at 100 if I do my part.

Latest posts

Back