my latest toy . . . walmart refurbish!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8dawg6

Reaction score
well, i was perusing a local walmart and there in the revolving gun case was a t/c grey hawk. i sort of did a double-take, i know these havent been made in awhile. anyway, i got the cashier to show me the rifle, and it had quite a few scratches on the finish and stock. however, the bore was shiny and appeared to be unfired, the lockwork was perfect (nice no-creep 4-5 lb. trigger), and there wasn't a speck of corrosion on the entire thing. i asked the cashier what on earth it was, and she said it was gun that had been purchased at wal-mart some years back, and then returned, and that walmart had then sent the rifle back to T/C to be refurbished. so that's why the bore was new, but the outside was scratched. of course i bought the rifle.

took it shootin' yesterday, and it shoots .490 roundballs w/ ordinary .015 patches and 80 g. pyrodex RS great (good tight bore, which i didn't expect, considering it had been "freshened out."). also, i can bonk the rifle around and set it down on things like ATV's and metal tables without a second thought. it's a truly functional utility rifle.

oh yeah, the price? $69.00

Sounds like a great purchase to me. Everyone needs one of those rifles that you haul into places where you do not care if the stock of the rifle is scratched or what not. I have a .54 caliber CVA Mountian Stalker for that. I paid $39.95 for the rifle and threw a set of fiber optic sights on it. A real nice shooting accurate rifle actually. I shot three deer with it and no one deer complained about being shot with a cheap gun. It also has the composite/plastic stock so scratching it is not a worry..

Those grayhawks ... didn't they have a 1-48 teist and about a 26" barrel on them or am I thinking of a different model?

cayuga, youre thinking of the right one. it has a 24" barrel w/ 1-48" twist. it's the spitting image of a t/c new englander w/ composite stock, only its silver (i've nicknamed her "the silver beast"). strangely enough, the new englander with wood stock had a 26" barrel, whereas the new englander with synthetic stock had a 24" in barrel. the greyhawk only had a 24" barrel. later greyhawks had the QLA thingy. i was happy to see that the silver beast is an earlier greyhawk, no QLA. the QLA makes loading roundballs kind of a pain.

I had one of those grayhawks in a 54 shot patch and ball real good i should have kept it. :)

Back