My two experiments worked!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
Awhile back I posted a thread where I had gotten some of the blue polymer inserts from Barnes that they put in their TMZ Spitfire muzzleloader bullets, and proceeded to install them in the 10mm 155gr TAC-XP handgun bullets. I put those into the blue Harvester sabots and finally headed to the range this morning with the Knight LK-II muzzleloader that I had gotten my grandson last year. I also wanted to if I could put about 10 grains of Triple 7 3F power down the bore first - as this would fill the flash channel and about half of the recessed bowl area in the breech plug. Then I poured 50 grains of BH209 hoping the Triple 7 would ignite the BH209. I shot 5 times and there no no hesitation at all - there was also no damn cloud of smoke which is why I wanted to try this hybrid powder load. The #11 percussion cap worked great!

Here's is a pic of a 290gr Barnes TMZ, a 250gr TMZ, and my 155gr concoction with a polymer tip added. I was getting about 1486 fps, shooting at 50 yards with a Bushnell TRS-25 one power red dot scope. I've got a Redfield 2-7 Widefield Illuminator that was just reconditioned and I'm toying with the idea of putting that on it this fall yet. All in all I was pleased with how things actually worked out. The 2nd shot that's high and to the right was when I jerked as I pulled the trigger right when a guy two benches down from me fired off a round. Not including the flyer it was a 1 3/16" 4 shot group.

nice shooting... I am not a fan of red dots. But I do like the 2-7 scopes.

cayuga said:
nice shooting... I am not a fan of red dots. But I do like the 2-7 scopes.

I'm not a fan of red dots either (although I do have an Ultradot on my turkey gun). The main reason for the red dot was the additional eye relief it provides as my grandson was only 6 years old last year when he was first learning to shoot. The last thing I wanted was for him to get whacked with scope eye and then never want to shoot again. We'll see how he does this summer and I might switched the scopes. But the red dot is so easy for a youngster to learn to shoot with.

BuckDoeHunter said:
Nice shooting.

Do you think the tips helped? Was it much trouble getting them from Barnes?

I don't know for sure but they can't hurt. The "cavern" in the TAC-XP bullets runs about .215" in diameter so I would think the tips would at least allow for some penetration before it starts to mushroom on impact. Can't hurt with accuracy.

Latest posts

Back