Need Help Setting up Renegade Peep Sights

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off. As many years I have been hunting and shooting (40 plus years), I have never shot a gun using a peep sight. Open sights, scopes and red dots up til now.
Looking to get some advice from you guys who use rear peep sights with fiber optic front sights for hunting. I just purchased a couple of Lyman 57SML rear peep sights for my Renegades from T.O.W.. (Thanks to Idaholewis on how to install, I got the first one done.) I don't plan to shoot them long range. I am more of hunter than a shooter. With regular open sights I always limited my self to 100 yards max for deer. I was hoping to extend my range out to 200 yds. I will be cashing in around 30 Colorado elk preference points in a few years. Planning on doing a sidelock muzzleloader hunt up in the northwest corner of the state.(I currently have 27points). I plan on shooting 460 Bullshop bullets in my stainless for elk and 350 Hornady FPB in my blued for deer. Both guns have shot great shooting these bullets with factory open sights up to 100 yds. Things may change and I may check out other options once I get the peep sights tuned in, we'll see.
I had also purchased a Lyman front globe sight and Lee Shavers inserts. As much as the new front globe sight would increase my accuracy, I have read and was told they may render me useless to make shots at dusk and dawn when most deer appear. Especially in dark canopy ,wooded areas. In turn I have decided to go with ''green'' .040 fiber optic front sights. I will be going with green thanks to the recommendation of edmehlig. They are definitely the easiest of all the fiber optic colors to see in low light situations. I will be swapping out the red rod on my stainless barrel with green.

So the main questions I have are ;

*How do you guys set up the peep sight for different yardages?

*Do you use the scale that is on the peep sight or do you make your own and tape it over top of existing scale?

*Does anyone know where I can get screw hole plugs where I removed the existing rear open sights? (see pics)

Any other constructive recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, HJ

Attachments

• 20200606_105920 (1).jpg
    20200606_105920 (1).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200606_124842 (1).jpg
    20200606_124842 (1).jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200606_124921 (1).jpg
    20200606_124921 (1).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200606_124948 (1).jpg
    20200606_124948 (1).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200606_125147 (2).jpg
    20200606_125147 (2).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200606_125158 (2).jpg
    20200606_125158 (2).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200606_125216 (1).jpg
    20200606_125216 (1).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200606_124901 (1).jpg
    20200606_124901 (1).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The Plug screws needed for the rear sight holes are 6-48

I like the adjustable Peep sights (Lyman 57 and Williams FP Hawken) Since i like to shoot longer ranges, But i Rarely Set one up Specific to a Gun/Load, I shoot so many Different Bullets That i would need a Different Side Scale for each Load.

On the Lyman 57, When you get your 100 Yard ZERO Down, That Sight has a Small Diameter, Long Screw in the Peep Bridge that is designed to Set with your ZERO, After you get your 100 Yard Zero you want to Run that little Screw down til it touches the Top of the Sight Block, I would use a little Dab of Blue Loctite on the little ZERO Stop Screw and let let it Cure good, Now you can literally Take the Peep Bridge out and Keep it in your Pocket Protected if in Rough/Brushy Country, Then Simply Slide it back in Place when needed, You Know that all the way down to the STOP is your 100 Yard ZERO.

Now that you have your 100 Yard ZERO Setup, Move out to 200 and Keep Adjusting til you get 200 Sighted in, After you are comfortable your 200 is sighted in, you could simply move the Little side Plate with Scale on the Lyman 57 to the Number Zero and Tighten it Down, This would be Your 200 Yards. If you wanted to Shoot 300 Yards, Simply make the Adjustments til Sighted in, Then Simply Scribe a Small Mark in the Side Plate Scale, Now you have a 300 Yard sight setting :lewis:

A potential source for plug screws is one off the larger local guns shops. When they mount scopes for customers some places will keep a tin full of the plug screws.

Stainless will not look right. A blue barrel always has blue screws. You could use a dab of blue loktite, but: I would not bother.

Ace is a good idea. My local ace's are all useless. But it is good tip if yours have them.

A potential source for plug screws is one off the larger local guns shops. When they mount scopes for customers some places will keep a tin full of the plug screws.

Stainless will not look right. A blue barrel always has blue screws. You could use a dab of blue loktite, but: I would not bother.

Ace is a good idea. My local ace's are all useless. But it is good tip if yours have them.

You don’t think Stainless Screws will look right in a Stainless Barrel huh?

My mistake, the barrel in the pictures looked blue. I see, that is two guns one of each. I agree, matching screws.

A lot of inlines ML are stainless. how about posting a wanted ad in the classified of this website? You might get gifted the two SS screws for postage. And your local gun emporium. Ebay shipped out of china maybe the lowest cost. How do they do that? Brownell has all these screws, but plus shipping $. You would want to combine with a larger order. Or ACE, (blue?) your luck maybe better than mine.

One warning, is these plug screws come in two design. Typically they screwed right down into holes just like your T/C needs. Occasioanlly those holes are very slightly counter sunk and the filler screws have a very slight little head.

Last edited:
Back