Need some help or advice please.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman2318

Reaction score
I have an Optima V2 thats about 6 years old. It has been a tack driver since the day i bought it. Before last hunting season i upgraded the Konus scope that came on it to a Leupold VX Freedom 4x12x40. Its not a ML specific optic, but it sighted in and held a 2 inch or better group shooting 92gr by weight of blackhorn 209 and powerbelt 295gr hollowpoints. Went out this season to insure it was on, and its all over the place. 6 to 8 inches random. Everything is the same. I have insured my scope mounts were tight, cleaned the breach, primers are coming out clean, Barrel looks as clean as can be. Any idea what might be causing this? Could the ML have broken the scope? Im at a loss.

Have you ever changed the breech plug? Maybe the flash hole has eroded to the point of poor accuracy.
This is what i get for draggin @&& and not hitting the range last week. Im down to two days to get it figured out. Im leaning scope swap too. Thanks guys.

Yessir, good idea to throw in a new plug. Only takes a minute. But just do one change at a time so you know which fixed it. If its the plug you don't have to return the Loopie.

.... but it sighted in and held a 2 inch or better group shooting 92gr by weight of blackhorn 209....

I don't mean to pick nits but you are shooting 8 grains by weight over the max recommended load of 209. Not only will the gun and optics pay a price in doing so, you might too. The max load for BH209 in box guns is either 120 grains by volume or the 84 grains by weight.

I don't mean to pick nits but you are shooting 8 grains by weight over the max recommended load of 209. Not only will the gun and optics pay a price in doing so, you might too. The max load for BH209 in box guns is either 120 grains by volume or the 84 grains by weight.
Yeah i know all that. I used a 10% over as a magnum weight. I did back down to 88 today during the attempt to find a grouping, so now im only 5% over. I was kinda surprised i made it this long without it being mentioned. 84 just didnt seem like it had any "pop"

Because of the differences discussed on this forum regarding BH I believe the consensus is 120 max volume with the weight varying depending on lot #. Just don't exceed 120 gr volume. The 120gr/v = 84 grains means nothing.

My current lot of BH is 120 gr/v = 94 grains by weight. Somebody jump in if I am incorrect and giving bad advice.

Because of the differences discussed on this forum regarding BH I believe the consensus is 120 max volume with the weight varying depending on lot #. Just don't exceed 120 gr volume. The 120gr/v = 84 grains means nothing.

My current lot of BH is 120 gr/v = 94 grains by weight. Somebody jump in if I am incorrect and giving bad advice.
Well i started weighing when i bought this gun due to actually having a longer ML season so i got a decent rifle and wanted to be as precise as possible. I think you actually have it backwards. Weight will always be consistent, volume can change by lot due to it being a hollow/extruded powder. so while 90grW will always weigh 90g. The volume is what actually changes.

I have an Optima V2 thats about 6 years old. It has been a tack driver since the day i bought it. Before last hunting season i upgraded the Konus scope that came on it to a Leupold VX Freedom 4x12x40. Its not a ML specific optic, but it sighted in and held a 2 inch or better group shooting 92gr by weight of blackhorn 209 and powerbelt 295gr hollowpoints. Went out this season to insure it was on, and its all over the place. 6 to 8 inches random. Everything is the same. I have insured my scope mounts were tight, cleaned the breach, primers are coming out clean, Barrel looks as clean as can be. Any idea what might be causing this? Could the ML have broken the scope? Im at a loss.
If you push Powerbelts too hard the skirts can blowout and the accuracy will definitely suffers. 80 to 90 grains by volume of BH209 is where I'd start with a 295 Powerbelt.

Latest posts

Back