Need some help or advice please.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe what Mr. Tom was trying to help folks understand: volume to weight ratio changes with lots/bottles of BlackHorn209. And you don't know the exact ratio until you throw some by volume then weigh them...

The powder manufacturer has warned in the past that they work each lot to be volumetrically equivalent to black powder. Plenty of other posts you can search up on this site show folks have experienced differences lot to lot of the volume to weight ratio when changing lots. Do a search or two; you will have hours of reading here.

As the manufacturer's instructions show that you should go by volume with BlackHorn209, its generally accepted as a best practice to work up loads by volume. Then if you must go by weight: weigh the charge (that is allowable by volume) and only use that weight to volume ratio for that bottle/lot.

You may hear 70gr weight = 100gr by volume... but its not always 100% accurate. The best safe way to do it is start by volume then weigh it, then repeat and average and then know for sure for that bottle/lot what ratio to use... and never go over the max charge of 120 gr by volume (says on the bottle) and never go over your rifle's manual's listing of max charge!

Your mileage may vary, but the advice above it safest and meant to help keep you safe.
That's true about "not always 100%".
I checked my BH209 notes and my 100 gr by volume consistently weighs 71 grains.

The main thing I see from those values is that the 120 gr V (weighed charges) seems to be a lot more consistent velocity than the 84 gr weighed charges.

I hate to say it but try putting that Konus back on.
I sure hope he got it figured out by now. This post was started back in November!
I notice a few guys complaining about Konus scopes. So far I have nothing to complain about. I bought one and liked it so much I got another. I hunt thick woods and I got the ones with the illuminated dot in the center of the reticle. (red or blue). That's a nice plus when shooting in low light.

I sure hope he got it figured out by now. This post was started back in November!
I notice a few guys complaining about Konus scopes. So far I have nothing to complain about. I bought one and liked it so much I got another. I hunt thick woods and I got the ones with the illuminated dot in the center of the reticle. (red or blue). That's a nice plus when shooting in low light.
Actually, i just bought a Vortex to put on it and about to start again. Giving myself plenty of time before the season this time. The sad part was i had zero problems with the Konus either. But then again i didnt have any issues with the leupold until last November. Hopefully it was just the cheaper Leupold not being able to handle the ML punishment

Actually, i just bought a Vortex to put on it and about to start again. Giving myself plenty of time before the season this time. The sad part was i had zero problems with the Konus either. But then again i didnt have any issues with the leupold until last November. Hopefully it was just the cheaper Leupold not being able to handle the ML punishment
Like I said before. Try a different powder too. I'd recommend Shooters World or Triple 7.
I would just about guarantee better accuracy. Too many get hung up on the BH209 hype. I've only had it shoot best out of one rifle out of 10 or so. I always try to have some on hand. But at the prices they're selling it for they can keep it.

I always keep one scope that I know is good. Tracks well and really holds a zero. It just so happens to be an inexpensive Bushnell.If having trouble that I suspect could be the scope on goes the Bushnell.
Same here! I've got a bushnell Trophy 1.75x4 with the circle x reticle and I've used it on several muzzleloaders over the years! It's been a great scope!

So one can of bh can be measured by volume, then weighed after that?

I always make sure my iron sights are on, if the gun has them. Once had to pull a scope on an extended trip.

You measure out about 5 loads by vol. Then weigh those 5 loads. Average it out, then you have a consistent weight for that lot#
Ten charges would give a better average but 5 can work. And you need to take time to do this with every can of BH having a different lot number. Different bottles of BH all having the same lot number will shoot using the initial measure/weigh/average weight.

Just an update for those that invested the time to respond with ideas. The Vortex has worked flawlessly. Im down to 80grw and shooting clovers at my 50 yard site in with the powerbelt 295gr hollowpoints. I do it at 50 because i hunt the thick woods, with short shots. However while mounting the VT, i found that my back mount was not tight and had a wiggle to it. when it was on the scope, it was not noticeable when the scope was removed it was very noticeable. Went ahead with the scope swap though just incase. So, 3 scopes and a few headaches later. Its back to driving tacks.

Back