New Accura MR-X - Blackhorn QRBP but no tool?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc7

Reaction score
Hello,

Just picked up a brand new Accura MR-X. I am going to be putting it head to head vs my 20 year old Optima Pro and see how it goes. I have Blackhorn 209 and will be trying out Scorpion PT Gold w/ crush sabots.

This rifle shipped in the box with a pellet breech plug and a blackhorn breech plug. Over time I will likely get a plug either modified by a forum member here, (to have a replaceable insert as I understand 209 primers wear the flash hole over time) or get a plug either modified or sold as a "Variflame", e.g. "Large Rifle Primer" plug. In the mean time I do plan to use the OEM plug that came with the rifle, in the interest of saving a couple bucks for now.

Now, CVA sells the Blackhorn plug at multiple outlets, including their own site, Amazon, MidwayUSA,etc. At each of these locations, instructions AND reviews state, "Use the included tool the first time it is installed to tighten it extra tight in order to form a 'seal' and then loosen - afterward, use fingers only normally."

The plug in my rifle and the manual, however, give no such instructions. Has this item been factory sealed or something? thank you!

The first time you put the plug into the rifle, crank it tight with the tool. Then just use your fingers to tighten it forever after, unless you use a new breech plug, then do the tool tightening again with the new plug(whatever brand or style).
It's all about the plug, not the rifle.

The first time you put the plug into the rifle, crank it tight with the tool. Then just use your fingers to tighten it forever after, unless you use a new breech plug, then do the tool tightening again with the new plug(whatever brand or style).
It's all about the plug, not the rifle.

Is there a name for the tool? None came with the new rifle.

If you screw in the BH209 QRBP will the action close? Since you said it was included...maybe its already "mated" to the barrel? Its my understanding that the MRX/LRX are made with the intention of using BH209 as the main powder.

It's just a L shaped flat bar about a 1/2 " wide and 1/8" thick . If you got it from Muzzle Loader.com call them and they will give you one. Where are you located? I have several. You can use padded channel locks if your careful. Mike.

If you screw in the BH209 QRBP will the action close? Since you said it was included...maybe its already "mated" to the barrel? Its my understanding that the MRX/LRX are made with the intention of using BH209 as the main powder.

the action closes and hammer works properly right out of the box.

It's just a L shaped flat bar about a 1/2 " wide and 1/8" thick . If you got it from Muzzle Loader.com call them and they will give you one. Where are you located? I have several. You can use padded channel locks if your careful. Mike.

I got the rifle from GrabAGun … but I am sort of leaning towards the idea that it’s already mated out of the box. I may give CVA a call tomorrow.

the action closes and hammer works properly right out of the box.

I got the rifle from GrabAGun … but I am sort of leaning towards the idea that it’s already mated out of the box. I may give CVA a call tomorrow.
Just got same rifle and no tool is included. It is mated from factory with BH209 plug. Be sure to inspect BH209 breech plug closely the flange on my was bent from being dropped at factory or dealer. CVA replaced after me sending pictures but didn't send tool to install plug with.

Doc7 What caliber did you get

50 cal, after looking around at availability of components. I do plan to apply for ML only elk tags, but despite internet warnings I did not find in the states I am interested in that a 45 would have been a problem, so it wasn’t based upon that.

i saw another thread (cross posted on many forums) where someone complained about fitment of the forend - mine has the same problem, is WAY off center. He mentioned doing an “adjustment” but I haven’t figured out what the adjustment is yet. It seems free floated so I don’t think it would be an issue freehand but may be one supported during recoil.

Here is a photo of my barrel to forend offset.

also - can not get the 0.501” Thor sizing bullet down the barrel! Apparently CVa bergara barrels may not be so infamously large anymore and I will order the blackcrush rib sabots instead of red.

Attachments

• 2576627F-D0C5-4302-867D-DCB2D5366663.jpeg
    2576627F-D0C5-4302-867D-DCB2D5366663.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 725C5A2E-402F-4C19-94AB-51E6827E5FD7.jpeg
    725C5A2E-402F-4C19-94AB-51E6827E5FD7.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 0C51642C-2078-49E5-B977-6C35EAA40AC8.jpeg
    0C51642C-2078-49E5-B977-6C35EAA40AC8.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 19

also - can not get the 0.501” Thor sizing bullet down the barrel! Apparently CVa bergara barrels may not be so infamously large anymore and I will order the blackcrush rib sabots instead of red.

I had the same situation with my Accura MR-X. .500 Thor goes down with light pressure. The .501 Thor requires a hammer to get it to go.

My forend fits much more evenly than your rifle it appears.

Last edited:
I've shot some of Fury 50 cal universal bullets out of my Accura MRX they're made to .4995 I get very slight rifling marks when seated.

The 50 cal 1 in 28" twist barrels have not been in question as far as I've ever heard. I have a 2019 model Accura V2 Plains Rifle in 50 cal that has a quite snug, uniform bore at .4995. So snug that I went to bullet to bore because sabot/bullet combinations fit tight as hell. The ones with the QC issues were the 1 in 22" twist 40 and 45 cal models. FYI...my Plains Rifle shoots balls out.

Back