new knight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new rifle was at Friendship over the weekend.
Apparently Boyd is still working on the final stock design - internally and adjustable LOP.
These barrels are heavier (just slightly) than the few they made for the mfg match.
They are working with Leupold on a couple different scopes specifically for this rifle (lower end 1"/ high end 30mm).
Also will include a 20mm picatanny rail.
New breech plug design.
They will sell w/o scope and with scope and all else needed including bullets, case, range rods, etc. test target ready to go. They will also make a custom stock (colors etc.) if customer prefers. He said a TN guy (not me - maybe Hal?) ordered an orange stock!
He said they will offer bullets for it once it's out.
Seems the first lot has been sold, said they are about to re-order another run.

At the NRA show the base rifle was stated to be at least $1200.
Didn't ask this past weekend, seems they are waiting on Boyd.

52Bore said:
At the NRA show the base rifle was stated to be at least $1200.
Didn't ask this past weekend, seems they are waiting on Boyd.

:think: Just thinking out loud, first off why is Knight waiting on Boyd when there are other stock makers out there, Richards is one of them. 2nd, Knight needs to lengthen the back of the barrel and reinstall a 2nd RECOIL LUG . Think about this, why are we floating our barrels, why are we bedding our Knights, ACCURACY, Boyd stock are good but not great, barrel to stock contact is not a good thing, then 1 RECOIL LUG, really. I think I will be building my own 1-18 from a Green Mountain 1-18 barrel with a Richards Stock with a 2nd recoil lug. Just my .02 cents.

Boyds have had a long relationship with boyds and has built most of there laminated stock for years.
I have a knight custom with one recoil lug and another with2 lugs and the single lug gun consistently is more accurate. I don't understand it but it works.

bestill said:
Boyds have had a long relationship with boyds and has built most of there laminated stock for years.
I have a knight custom with one recoil lug and another with2 lugs and the single lug gun consistently is more accurate. I don't understand it but it works.

I also have a few Knights with Boyd stocks, yes they are good, but after floating & bedding they became even more accurate.

Just wondering .... since Boyd's has been making stocks for Knights for years, how come they aren't readily available to purchase?
When you go to boyds site, the only Knight stock listed is for American Knight, which is an old plunger style gun.

With as many Disc's as there are out there, seems like they would offer some stocks for them. :huh?:

boyds has a contract with knight..so knight sells thier stock on thier site...just like Lehigh makes the plugs and you cant buy from them..you use to before the contract....also the bloodline bullets...they are all knight exclusive..I bedded a few of my knights in the recoil lug area and put a pillar in and improved alot...barrel is floated...

Al-53 said:
boyds has a contract with knight..so knight sells thier stock on thier site...just like Lehigh makes the plugs and you cant buy from them..you use to before the contract....also the bloodline bullets...they are all knight exclusive..I bedded a few of my knights in the recoil lug area and put a pillar in and improved alot...barrel is floated...

For $1200.00 they should come from the factory floated, bedded, and a 2nd recoil lug. All they need to do is leave and inch or so at the back of the barrel and run a lug bolt up thru the trigger assembly. It's a no brainer. :wall: :wall: I bought a .50 Knight for $50.00 the owner was so pissed he said he would never own a Knight ever. I took the ML home, cleaned it then went to the range, at 50 yds. the target looked as if I shot it with BUCK SHOT. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I went back home sat down at the bench and started to find the problem, with just 1 recoil lug, by putting pressure on the front & back of the barrel I could rock the barrel up and down inside the stock. The RAMP in front of the trigger that is suppose to support the barrel was so far off the bottom of the barrel the barrel would just ROCK BACK A FORTH.

all my knights have good fit in the stocks...and my elite with a plastic stock has a great fit....did nothing to it...free floated...tight fit lug...I asked sabotloader if bedding it would be ok..he said if tight fit leave it....it has a forked lug...shoots real nice...

Al-53, all of mine have one lug and shoot well.
But, they are considering a different one on this rifle.

Did these ever actually come to market? I waited around for months to buy one back in the spring but finally gave up the third time the ship date got bumped back. A few weeks ago I was ordering some stuff from Knight and was given the impression that they still weren't ready.

Maybe this is a dead topic but did they ever release this gun? Guess i've never heard...

Thx

Came out last April the NRA show. They went back and forth of months with Boyd over stock stuff around the larger bbl - I still think it felt too large, then Gordy left and nothing has been done since. Gordy and I even worked with Leopold on a custom scope for it. Mounted the scope and shot the only one they put together last summer, slightly less than 1.7" group at 200 with 540gr GG bullet over 85gr Swiss 2F.
I noticed the bore felt 'course' compared to some of the older DISC that I've shot (even the NIB one's I had). Not sure what that was, but it didn't seem to effect loading or shooting, the bore felt smooth all the way down as they had these double honed. The bore was 0.4512"
I have no idea where my target photo is, but here is the rifle.

Attachments

• Knight 500 NRA cased.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 567
Just to give all an update on BOYD Stocks, Boyd is making and selling Knight Stocks on the open market, I ordered a Knight Heritage Stock for my grandsons .45. I would go next time with the Featherweight, the Heritage is a little bulky, the grommet that the bolt for the recoil lug goes thru was deformed and had to be replaced, when I went to knockout the bad grommet a small chip from the laminate chipped off also. So now that needs to repaired, no big deal just a little sanding and a few coats of TRUE OIL and it'll be good as new.

The Knight 500 is in the 2016 catalog so whatever happened? Is it ever going to be for sale? Seems like a long time since they announced it.

Back