New member / used rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, hi, hello. I just won an Auction for a Traditions Tracker 209. It should be here in the next week or so I'd guess.

Any advice? Load recommendations? I just downloaded the manual and have not read all the way through it yet.

The Mossberg ml barrel caused quite the excitement at the gunsmith when I took it in for new sights. They had never seen or heard of it before. They couldn't figure out how to log it in lol.

Welcome. I state often that all rifles (CF and MZ) are unique to the loads that shoot accurately from them. So someone can give you their favorite load but it may or may not shoot well in your gun. Start by selecting a projectile you wish to shoot. Select a powder and primer that is available to you. Start with a 70-80 grain by volume load and start shooting. Add 5 grains for each group shot and soon a pattern or accurate load will start to reveal itself. It is a process but there are no shortcuts. I believe the Tracker 209 is not a sealed chamber gun so you may not be able to use Blackhorn 209 powder. Im sure someone will chime in and confirm or correct that statement.

If you have further questions please let us know what projectile you wish to shoot and what powder you have available. Loose powder offers a greater numbers of load variations than pellets so more accurate loads can be developed. But in your gun pellets may give you the accuracy you want. Trial and error.

Good luck and enjoy.

One other thing, the Traditions Tracker 209 is missing its ram rod.

Where is the best place to get a replacement? And, what's the difference between a "field rod", a "range rod" and a "ram rod" ?

Ramrods for 45 caliber and up are pretty much universal diameter (.375"). CVA makes a universal ramrod you can buy at Amazon, Ebay, etc. Buy 2 and cut one for your rifle and one at full length for your range rod. I also like to buy CVA's universal loading tip. I get them for both my rods and for my short starter. With these you can load any projectile from round ball to pointed without marring the bullet.
Good luck and shoot straight

Great rifle! I converted mine, we'll now its Baby Girl's, to use caps. Better accuracy by about 30%.
Using 40 grains ( volume) of 3f Triple 7 and a TC Cheap Shot sabot ( 240 grain .45 lead h.p.) gives a chrono'd velocity of 1350 fps. Think .44 magnum handgun. I took 4 deer with this load and Baby Girl took her 4 as well. Her shots were 85-125 yards. The 125 was on the rangefinder.
BOOM..WHOP. The doe jumped, went 50 yards and crashed.
Baby Girl and her deer. And the recovered Cheap Shot.
Like I said. Great rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_20141021_092749.jpg
    IMG_20141021_092749.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20141021_080941.jpg
    20141021_080941.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 0
So I got my Traditions Tracker 209 today. It was in real need of a cleaning. I test fired a primer through it. The bore is speckled with rust which tells me it was put up without a cleaning. The rifling seems good enough. I just need to brush it out some more. The trigger group was gunked up pretty good. It's not all bad for a cheap rifle. It's a learning experience for sure. I figure I got what I paid for. Anyway, I'm not upset that it was in such a need for cleaning. The seller did not hype it up or anything like that. When my range rod and ball pusher comes in, I'll take it to the range and see how far off the scope is. I have a bag of .50 cal round balls, a pack of primers, and a jar of Pyrodex.

Give the barrel a Lee Shaver cleaning. That information is available here with a search. Soak the trigger group in some kind of cleaning fluid. Others here have more experience with round balls in that type gun but I think you need to keep the powder quantities on the low side. Someone will chime in with more expertise. Enjoy and welcome.

Back