New way to upload pics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Bob.
I have one book, The Anglo-Zulu War that is good and some other general SA histories that include the war. I am always looking for more reading on the topic.

I get a kick out of the old Westerns I watch when they "circle the wagons." They did exactly the same in SA with going into lagger, and they didn't even have John Wayne to help. :D
Ron

"The Washing of the Spears" isn't just about the Anglo-Zulu war. It's a history of the Zulu nation from its inception to post-Cetshwayo Natal. As you know, the South African government is currently dominated by Zulus, so Shaka won after all.

Mandela and MBeki are Xhosa as was most of the membership of the African National Congress. Finally, Zuma, a Zulu, became the new, corrupt President. Parliament is overwhelmingly dominated by Xhosa and the civil service is made up of family members of the Xhosa parliamentarians.

The Afrikaners set the Xhosa against the Zulu for decades as a divide and conquer approach and did it successfully. When the turnover of the government to the majority blacks took place in 1994, it was to the Xhosa leadership, leaving the Zulu out in the cold. Mangosuthu Buthelezi, the head of the Zulu Inkatha Freedom Party, was marginalized and there still are physical battles going on between Zulu and Xhosa.

Shaka got his comeuppance when he was assassinated by his relative, Dingane.  Digane was as murderous as Shaka and kept up his extermination policies. They killed Khoi-san, Tswana, Panga, Venda, Xhosa and anyone else who wasn't Zulu.
Ron

I thought that the whole government changed over to Zulus along with the president. I guess I should read more thoroughly.
Chief Buthelezi actually was in one of those Zulu flicks, either "Zulu!" or "Zulu Dawn". He played Cetshwayo in the opening scene when a missionary and his daughter were in his kraal.

Actually, there was only one small Zulu clan to begin with. As Shaka conquered each tribe, the survivors were assimilated into the Zulus until today it's the largest, numbers wise, in southern Africa.

You are right. They killed the men, took the women and particularly the boys for their military.
Ron

Latest posts

Back