Nice day rabbit hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgeviewer

Reaction score
Spent the day yesterday with a few buddies, and a couple of fast beagles.
I think were gonna cook up this batch with sauerkraut and mashed taters.
2-11-06RabbitHunt.jpg
[/img]

I can find the guys to hunt with just not the rabbits. I have excellent cover and have hunted with good dogs also in Ohio. I have not seen that many rabbits in years here. Good hunting.

I wish i could find some guys to hunt with.

I can find the guys to hunt with just not the rabbits. I have excellent cover and have hunted with good dogs also in Ohio. I have not seen that many rabbits in years here. Good hunting.

Jim, I'm not sure what's going on around here this year. We have hit strong numbers of rabbits and pheasants in places we had given up on a couple years ago. At first, I thought the coyotes had killed off the fox and posssibly moved on to other areas to hunt. That is untill we received our snow a couple of weeks ago. Coyote and fox tracks everywhere...
One thing I can say, The abundant predators have made for smarted birds and bunnies. Many of the bunnies this season have avoided circling all together. We were lucky in having enough guys to adjust things a bit.

The pheasants all have College Diplomas around here,,, :lol:
Seems at last summer's conference they were taught that if they lead our Setters on a 30-40 minute hike, the guys following with the bang sticks were not quite as sharp when they finally flushed.

It's been a LONG time since I've rabbit hunted using dogs. Man talk about FUN! Looks like ya'll had a GREAT time!

It's been a LONG time since I've rabbit hunted using dogs. Man talk about FUN! Looks like ya'll had a GREAT time!
Big6x6, It really was a fun day. We were hunting a brother/sister pair of bench legs. The female was moderately quick, and really runs a nice rabbit. The hard headed, independant, (lucky to be alive) male on the other hand, was extremely fast. He blazes after the rabbit silently, until he sees the rabbit. Only then will he bay.
I've never seen rabbits run by so fast. I always use a single shot, 20 gauge when hunting with beagles. After missing the first 5 that this dog scorched past me, I was sure wanting my regular gun. We must have missed 20 rabbits during the day thanks to this speed demon.

Around noon we decided to change spots, and grab a sammich along the way. Old Harley had other plans, and decided to run from us for an hour and a half.
We rewarded him with a short lead, and a long nap while we hunted his sister the remainder of the day. Needless to say, Harley will not be invited back! Well, unless he wears my electric necklace, and drags a bowling ball. :lol:

Ridgeviewer said:
Spent the day yesterday with a few buddies, and a couple of fast beagles.
I think were gonna cook up this batch with sauerkraut and mashed taters.
2-11-06RabbitHunt.jpg
[/img]

That looks like you had a great hunting day.

Hey Ridgeviewer...

How do ya handle all the fleas.....Here in Iowa theyare the most flea ridden animal in the woods.

It just grosses me out to have fleas on me and my dog. How do you handle?

Hey Ridgeviewer...

How do ya handle all the fleas.....Here in Iowa theyare the most flea ridden animal in the woods.

It just grosses me out to have fleas on me and my dog. How do you handle?
Hi Spitpatch, I chase pheasants, and deer until the end of January. By then the fleas on the rabbits don't seem as bad. Typically though, we try to do a few things. We'll hang the rabbits in the fork of a sappling and pick them up when we hunt back towards the truck. When this isn't feasible we toss them in the game bag until we get to the truck. We always let the rabbits cool a couple of hours before we clean them, and our vest stay outside a while as well. It seems like the fleas must jump ship when the body heat disappears.
We really don't let the dogs have much contact with the bunnies. We let the dog see we have the bunny, and move on.
As far as I know, all of my buddies and I use Frontline or something similar on our dogs.
Hope this helps, last time I came out to Central Iowa to bird hunt the limit on Bunnies was 10 per day, and we must have jumped a 100 or more that week.
Your missing some awefull fine eating. :wink:

Latest posts

Back