Nikon Prostaff or Nikon Omega - Why?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a TC Omega Z5 and would like to purchase a scope for it this year. I mainly use my TC for deer hunting and most of my shots fall within 100 yards. I have looked at the BDC vs Nikoplex reticles and I am leaning more toward the Nikoplex just becuase of the thicker reticle. The two scopes that I am considering is the Nikon Prostaff and the Omega. What's your preference? Do any of you have the Prostaff on your muzzleloader? Do you like it? The Prostaff is $100 cheaper. It is a bit longer than the Omega and doesn't have quite the eye relief which are things to consider. I would like to know your thoughts and ask is it really worth the extra $100 for the Omega?

Nikoplex vs BDC ? I would take the nikoplex over BDC anyday. Its simpler and with the majority of shots <100 yards BDC not needed.

Prostaff vs Omega? I would take the Omega over Prostaff. With that said I would probably look around and try to find a Nikon Monarch 3-9 for ~$200. The Monarch has better optics than the Omega, which is comparable to the Buckmasters. That being said I have not owned the Omega. SWFA has the silver Monarchs for this price but no longer have the matte.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1913-218-nikon-3-9x40-monarch-ucc-riflescope.aspx

Not to complicate things but two other scopes worth considering are:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10603-1514-sightron-3-9x42-sii-riflescope.aspx

and
http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx

Big6x6 has an Omega or two. I'm sure he could give you some more details.

I use two Nikon Pro Staff scopes. They are the 2-7x32mm models made for shotguns as well. They have excellent clarity, eye relief, great light gathering ability, and are just plain excellent scopes. The BDC is a waste of money for people who are only going to shoot 100 yards more or less.

I have them on a White Ultra Mag that I pound 500 grain conicals through and the scope has never shifted in its Warne QD rings. And I have one on a Knight Disc rifle and it too shoots great. I have no experience with the other model scope you mentioned, but I would sure recommend the Pro Staff.

The reason I went with a Pro Staff besides the price.. I have a friend who owns a Sporting Goods store and you ask him a question and he gives you a straight answer. I showed him my Ultra Mag and asked him what scope he would recommend for 150 yards and under shots. He told me he could sell me a more expensive scope, but he recommended the Pro Staff. He said they are built tuff, great optics, life time guarantee, and when they go out the door they never come back. I have never regretted his advise or my purchase.

Another scope I use is a Bushnell Elite 3200 and it too is a great scope.

BDC

Dead on once you ae zeroed at 100. Yea, I know most shots are under 75 but it's nice to know and play out there in the shimmer

I have an Omega Nikoplex on my Triumph and love it. I think the Omega has slightly better optics and is just the right size for the mz............tm

Absolute Giant,

I have a Nikon Monarch, brand new in box on the classified section. I had bought a Zeiss and do not need the Nikon. email me

This scope is a couple of steps above what you are looking at for the same price. I will toss in a set of Weaver rings also.

CORVAIR said:
Absolute Giant,

I have a Nikon Monarch, brand new in box on the classified section. I had bought a Zeiss and do not need the Nikon. email me

This scope is a couple of steps above what you are looking at for the same price. I will toss in a set of Weaver rings also.

Yes it is a step up BUT...the 2.5-10X42 won't work on the Omega without using higher rings because of the larger ocular on that scope. You can't get to the hammer...been there, done that. I bought that scope for my Omega and it is a no go...had to stick it on the Long Range Hunter..

I put an Omega on my Omega :lol: and it gets my vote!

Chuck,

Didn't realize that was a problem w/Omega. Just saw an opportunity to sell my non-moving Monarch.

Sorry also to Absolute Giant. my apologies

Back