No deer for me…….

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rvrrat14

Reaction score
Well, I’ve been studying, shooting, and some killing with my new Optima V2. My White Hots and Bore Drivers have really done well on target and hogs. Smallest groups; MOA at 100 yds, same hole at 50 yds. I was ready!

Have my own ranch so plenty of time, so I thought. Thanksgiving came, I went during regular season, my mom calls the first night: Your dad has passed away.

He was 91. Lived his whole life at home. Simply went to sleep. He taught me to hunt and I still took him each season to sit and watch deer.

That changed everything. Focus was to tend to mom (85). She’s a strong, fit woman. Wife and me have been staying with her and helping her get paperwork done and adjusted. She’s on her own now, and we only live 5 miles away.

My thoughts were I’d go during Muzzleloading Season and pop a doe at least. Well, I went this past week, just wasn’t in me. Watched lots of deer. Enjoyed the outdoors. Drove the old Jeep around. Loaded it on trailer. Came home.

Thanks to all of you that helped me along the way. I do enjoy shooting my Optima. I have learned so much here. A big THANK YOU!

We’ll see next season…..

Life changes for everything when parents pass on. We just have to make do while still keeping them in our hearts and minds. I was a total wreck when my dad passed, still miss him so much to this day almost 13 years later. Take care of your mom and yourself!
The deer will still be there next season, bigger and fatter!!

I considered quitting hunting deer when my dad died. Its tough, sometimes, going out on opening day and not being with him. But there are always memories of the good times and hunts spent together, or sitting in the bar after, talking about what happened that day. Im very sorry for your loss.

When we lose a parent or child, we lose a part of ourselves, and it takes time to come to terms with that loss. My condolences for your loss and my prayers go to all of you to help heal. There's always next year and should you decide to hunt, know that you will not be lone.

Thanks for sharing your journey. Sometimes the best shots are those we take with in our minds and with our cameras.

For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end. Psalm 48:14

Thanks for sharing your journey. Sometimes the best shots are those we take with in our minds and with our cameras.

For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end. Psalm 48:14
I have been accused of not wanting to kill deer because of all the pictures I’ve taken! LOL. Thanks to all the comments. There is NO DOUBT I will be hunting next season, and some hogs the coming weeks. It’s a family custom, never to be lost!

I had the opposite attitude when my Dad passed in September of 2014, and I hit the ground running on the first day of Oklahoma archery season and hunted harder that year in pursuit of the buck that outsmarted me in 2013. My Dad had been my biggest cheerleader in 2013, and I really wanted to kill that buck in his honor. On the evening of October 24, 2014, I was finally blessed with the opportunity to put my hands on him. That buck is my avatar on every message board I’m on as a tribute to my Dad’s memory.

That's tough, loosing a parent. You will overcome due to all the memories y'all made together same as I have and many others. That's what your dad would want you to do.
And nothing wrong with going hunting and just watching. I see "not shooting" same as "catch and release fishing".

That's tough, loosing a parent. You will overcome due to all the memories y'all made together same as I have and many others. That's what your dad would want you to do.
And nothing wrong with going hunting and just watching. I see "not shooting" same as "catch and release fishing".
Thanks. I don’t shoot every season anyway. I let the kids do that. I’ll take a spike for the parents, as he loved chicken fried venison and mom knows how to cook it!

It’s more of the idle time in the woods. Thinking. God gives us those memory’s for a reason.

My condolences to you and your family. I lost my mom in 2013 to cancer and I still miss her! Keep making memories and enjoy the outdoors! Harvesting a deer is just a bonus to being in the outdoors!

Well, I’ve been studying, shooting, and some killing with my new Optima V2. My White Hots and Bore Drivers have really done well on target and hogs. Smallest groups; MOA at 100 yds, same hole at 50 yds. I was ready!

Have my own ranch so plenty of time, so I thought. Thanksgiving came, I went during regular season, my mom calls the first night: Your dad has passed away.

He was 91. Lived his whole life at home. Simply went to sleep. He taught me to hunt and I still took him each season to sit and watch deer.

That changed everything. Focus was to tend to mom (85). She’s a strong, fit woman. Wife and me have been staying with her and helping her get paperwork done and adjusted. She’s on her own now, and we only live 5 miles away.

My thoughts were I’d go during Muzzleloading Season and pop a doe at least. Well, I went this past week, just wasn’t in me. Watched lots of deer. Enjoyed the outdoors. Drove the old Jeep around. Loaded it on trailer. Came home.

Thanks to all of you that helped me along the way. I do enjoy shooting my Optima. I have learned so much here. A big THANK YOU!

We’ll see next season…..
Sure you will do fine this (it's over) and next season ,I'm sure of it/Ed

As long as he is in your heart, he lives on............ Glad to hear you are watching over your mother.

I just lost my father-in-law Christmas morning. His daughter was there with him. He was 100 years and 3 days old. He killed the biggest 9 point buck last year when he was 98. (Birthday 12/22/22). His son took him deer hunting 6 times this past November (99yrs old) but the deer and his macular-degeneration wouldn't work together. He just couldn't get them located with his scope quick enough. He taught me to hunt, fish, shoot muzzleloaders and reload all calibers. His son and I always said we were shooting for second place against each other because we knew who was gonna be first! To say I'll miss him is an understatement!
Rvrrat14 you have my condolences. May he Rest In eternal Peace.

Big John

You have my condolences and prayers. I lost my Dad on 2015, (he was 97) I think of him daily and there is always something that brings back memories.
Wishing you, your wife and mother the best in 2023

Latest posts

Back