Old crud ring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received a nef sidekick 50 cal from my brother to go over and get shooting again. It has been several years since he has last shot it. After inspecting the barrel I see the dreaded crud ring that has not been cleaned just wondering what a good starting point would be to clean this barrel since it has been sitting for years like this. Thanks in advance for your help. Also it looks like he was shooting pyrotechnics pellets also that Jim shocked gold in the little sticks. I’m going to get him a new breech plug and on to bh209

Maybe get a patch soaking wet with Hoppe's Bore Solvent or similar. Push it down the barrel to the crud ring and let it sit for a few hours. Maybe that will soften it up enough to swab it clean.

Plain old soap and water should melt the crud ring from APP easily. Remove the barrel and run some soapy water thru it. Give it a couple minutes to soften the fouling then a brush and patches. Ballistol is another good solution for stuff like that because its water soluble and works with any powder including smokeless.

Yep APP powder fouling is water soluble. APP made Shockey's powders. Luke warm is fine. Never was a fan of using boiling hot water to clean a ml. After its clean use something to displace the water like rubbing alcohol or even WD40. Wipe it all out and use a good synthetic for storage.

Since this gun has been sitting for years should I flush out the trigger with lighter fluid and hammer assembly?
I would. Most top triggers recommend it.

Jewel recommends no lubrication and clean by flushing with lighter fluid. Jewel triggers are precision instruments, and as such do not react well with dirt and grime.

I've used lighter fluid several times. I've never had an issue with it. I keep a bottle of Zippo fluid on my cleaning bench.

So a little bit of searching and it appears that zippo/ronsonol lighter fluids are made of white gas or naptha (same thing). Some brands of lighter fluid use methanol. Then an additive is mixed in to make them smell different. I think I will stick with the brake cleaner for my triggers. One less flammable liquid for my rotten cat to knock over.

So a little bit of searching and it appears that zippo/ronsonol lighter fluids are made of white gas or naptha (same thing). Some brands of lighter fluid use methanol. Then an additive is mixed in to make them smell different. I think I will stick with the brake cleaner for my triggers. One less flammable liquid for my rotten cat to knock over.
Just know that zippo leaves the slightest of lubricant.

charcoal lighter fluid is a TERRIBLE thing to do to food !!!

what are y'alls thoughts on equal parts rubbing alcohol , peroxide and murphy's oil soap ? (on ML's not food)
or ..... how about a nylon scrubby pad and/or comet ?

Back