Old Dog New Tricks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshot1

Reaction score
Ok 64 years old never weighed anything, always thought Bigger is Better.

When I first stated using a Muzzleloader I had a 45Cal. Used Recurve Bow made my own Arrows. If they hit they were used.

I ordered a 50Cal. Rifle, looked at it, sent it back told them to send me a 54Cal.

For years I used 20Ga. with Slugs and number 6 Shot for Turkeys. Thought a 12Ga. would be better hated it for Deer but great for Turkeys.

Finally as far as Firearms for Deer I like 20Ga. with Slugs, .54Cal. Patch and Ball, .50Cal. Inline with Cheap Shot Sabots.

Anymore use Crossbow with Carbon Bolts, 125Gr. Spitfires.

Went to a Museum today was surprised at the smaller calibers used years ago. .50Cal. was considered Large .

Ok have a .45Cal. Inline killed a 450 pound Boar Hog with it using 180Gr. XTP, pushed by 80Gr. Pyrodex RS but I still don't have Confidence in this Rifle. Got a 30-30 know it will kill Deer but once again no  Confidence. Get right down to it I know shoot and wait let the Bullet do its Job.

Got a carry Pistol, .380, never have had to use it, thought about a 9MM. Listen to my wife save my money carry the .380 and hope I never have to use it.

Now in need to buy New Bolts and Heads for my Crossbow, thinking of changing, I'm using a Heavy Head. Regular Crossbow Scope is worthless because my Crossbow is set up for 30 Yards max.

My wife is telling me not to change anything that I'm in my 60's, bad health, go kill Deer with what I know works.  

Been doing the same thing with Fishing my wife is having a fit. Saying leave things the way they are go catch fish.

I know she is right just thinking over the Internet.

oneshot

Perhaps you may be over thinking all of it. If it is working it's working. I have done it my self I have two encore rifles with muzzleloader barrels on them that shoot like a dream 100 yards three shot one hole but every year I always think I need them but end up carrying my Lyman great plains rifle in 54 cal using round ball and have never needed anything else we all over think sometimes.

RLSMITH said:
Perhaps you may be over thinking all of it. If it is working it's working. I have done it my self I have two encore rifles with muzzleloader barrels on them that shoot like a dream 100 yards three shot one hole but every year I always think I need them but end up carrying my Lyman great plains rifle in 54 cal using round ball and have never needed anything else we all over think sometimes.
Maybe this is good for me now. My wife said today she thinks I have Dementia, she says she has dealt with this before she just hope I don't get violent.  :lol!:

oneshot

I have a friend that has dementia, his wife would tell everyone to not pay him any attention. So one day I was talking to him, he's mad because this was the third time that week his wife had a card club meeting at their place. 

Later in the day I looked outside and saw all the ladies leaving after only being there a short time? Then I hear his wife yelling about something, I'm thinking "now what"??? Then there's a knock on my garage door, it's my friend. He's laughing, "You have to remember Buck I have dementia according to the wife. So I waited for all her girl friends to be seated and I walked out into the family nude and ask if anyone had seen my clothes".

"Did you see how fast those women left my place ...  :D :lol: :shock: :cheers:".

She has had him going to all kinds of doctors for several weeks, settled down now but she watches him all the time.  :Questuon:

It's fun having a health issue that works to your advantage sometimes..  :lol!:

their was a minnesota dairy with the same probem with his his wife when i was a young man not far from him. it was the 1950/s. she was always putting him down even though he was older and worked his but off 7 days a week milking cows and giving her a good living. she had all the neighbor gals over so he was in the process of butchering a old cow for hamberger meat for the winter. so he cut off a teat of the old cow and opened the fly on his bib overalls and put the cow teat in their so it looked like his johnson was sticking out. he walked in with a butcher knife in his hand on the social meeting of these gals. they screamed and pointed to what they thought was his johnson. he said to them, oh that thing it always gets in the way. he pretended to then cut it off and then walked out with all of them screaming. he later told his wife, leave me alone, and you will have peace or if you want, these games can keep going. dont know how it all turned out but it was the talk of the county for awhile.

My Dad one time we was eating Turtle,he held the tail up had neighbor convince we was eating Road Kill Snake.

oneshot

Back