Omega/Disc Extreme...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I was able to go to the range for a little while yesterday. It was a BEAUTIFUL morning! I wasted a lot of time with scopes. I first mounted a Leupold VX-L 3.5-10 on the new Disc Extreme. It didn't have enough elevation adjustment! AHHH!! That scope was removed and I robbed the Nikon Omega from my KRB(Don't worry...I ordered two more Omegas this AM!)! That kind crap really takes up your time too! No problem with the Nikon Omega on the Disc Extreme!

ALL groups shot with 120gr Blackhorn 209!

ANYway I did shoot a good bit. I shot my Long Range Hunting some and quite frankly, never was satisfied with the way it shot. In fact it is very picky about what it will shoot. The best group I shot was 1.67 inches with 120gr BH209/290gr Knight PBT.

Back to the Disc Extreme... After getting it sighted in I shot two 3-shot groups with it. First up was the Knight/Barnes 250gr PBT. Boy..and GREAT shooting load, 0.70 inches! Next up was the USUALLY accurate 275gr Parker Ballistic Extreme, but not this time... 1.90 inches.

IMG_0112.JPG

MV for the 250gr PBT- 2035fps
MV for the 275gr Parker- 1999fp

I'll try a few other bullets, and shoot the Knight/Barnes bullet again, before I settle on one. One thing of note...This Knight DE has a tighter bore than the LRH! HORRAY! :D It's a good-looking gun to boot!

IMG_0109.JPG

Next up...the T/H Omega...I tried 3 different bullets. 200gr Shockwave, 275 Ballisctic Extreme, 300gr SST...All shot at least GOOD..but I couldn't find the 300gr SST target... :?

This is going to be one GREAT shooting Omega!

IMG_0107.JPG

Of course the Omega has a tight bore. The 200gr Shockwave went 1.18 inches and the 275gr Ballistic Extreme went 0.48 inches!

One thing is for sure..there is very little penalty for using a heavier bullet with Blackhorn 209...here are the velocity results(including PREVIOUSLY shot 250gr SST):

200gr Shockwave- 2100fps
250gr SST- 2082fps(Previous range session)
275gr Ballistic Extreme- 2035fps
300gr SST- 1972fps

The Omega is a good-looking rifle too:

IMG_0103.JPG

Overall...I had a better than average range session!

Wow, great group there with the omega and the BE's! I traded mine away after they would not shoot with the T7 I had, now I wonder if I should have kept them for a while. Oh well, I wouldn't mind MOA with this gun and 250 gr SSTs, but do you think that is too fast for the SST (2082fps)? Did you chrono a 100 gr charge as well?

Thanks! What's wrong? Giving up on the NULA?

Seems thatta way... :lol: Just saw yer thread on Knight's packaging. I'm gonna get a few of them boxes an' pack 'em full of 496gr. Trashcans.... :lol: :wink:

great shooting!

I am going to have to try those barnes thingys in my extreme!! That Omega makes me DROOOL!!!

Nice report!

Thanks

Great shooting 6, I've been eyeing that same Knight DE... the Mossy Oak is sweet!

Very nice Chuck. Thanks for the report. Are the new blue EZ Load Sabots thinner or just a slicker polymer? My Disc Ext loves the yellow ones, but I may have to try out the new blue ones.

Oh well, I wouldn't mind MOA with this gun and 250 gr SSTs, but do you think that is too fast for the SST (2082fps)? Did you chrono a 100 gr charge as well?

No..that's not too fast at all.. IMO that IS really about as fast as they really NEED to be pushed for a really close shot. I'm shot 'em to 2300-2400 fps using smokeless...bullet always comes apart with a up close shot.. But I've never lost a deer to the 200gr/250gr Shockwave/SST. It IS one of the more accurate bullets and that certainly helps!

I have that same model (the extreme) i really like it too. Shoots GREAT feels GREAT. Nice shooting Chuck

Very nice indeed.

Is it just me, or does it seem that this stuff is turning a lot of MLers into MOA rifles???

Its kind of hard to argue with results like that. And the velocity you get with some of the heavy bullets is fantastic. That would make one hard hitting hunting load.

Latest posts

Back