PERMA-GEL Review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omega

Reaction score
It quit raining long enough to get out and shoot. This has several pictures in it so i just published it here:

PERMA-GEL

There were a few surprising results! :shock:

If you'd submit that to me, I would like to place that on the website.

Interesting results Rich and very informative!

Looks like will be stuffin those 250 SST's this coming season again! :lol:

:D Thanks for sharing your test report.

Very time consuming tests, and very informative!! Thanks for sharing the link to your work. I also find the lack of faith that hydrostatic, or some sort of shock is present at the point of impact disturbing. It's nice to see some sort of "proof" that there is more to it than a bullet cutting a path through flesh and bone, but a massive tissue disruption that causes more damage other than the immediate wound channel. Thanks again for sharing!

NICE report, Omega! That was very informative. I know from some of your other posts that you are a fan of the 200 Shockwave and 250 SST's. I would expect after those tests, that your confidence in the 250 SST is even greater, as if you needed it to be after all the critters you've taken with the SST's and Shockwaves! Thanks for sharing!

Rich,
I THROUGHLY enjoyed reading your report! VERY good! The 250gr SST DOES look to be a pretty sustantial projectile at least up to 2250fps.

The result of the 220gr 375 H&H shouldn't surprise you. It isn't designed for the big 375 and is designed to operate at .375 Winchester velocities, maximum velocity about 2100fps or so.

Again, GREAT report! I believe I'll include them in my hunt as well!

Rich,
For your next test, what about a 200gr, 250gr, and 300gr Shockwave/SST comparison?

big6x6 said:
The result of the 220gr 375 H&H shouldn't surprise you. It isn't designed for the big 375 and is designed to operate at .375 Winchester velocities, maximum velocity about 2100fps or so.

I must have a mislabelled box of these, as they are marked Interlock. My Hornady reloading book does show reduced loads for the 220-225 bullets with max velocity of 2300 fps to duplicate the 375 W. Can you tell me, I thought until the advent of the Interbond the Interlock was Hornady's premium bullet. Am I wrong?

big6x6 said:
Rich,
For your next test, what about a 200gr, 250gr, and 300gr Shockwave/SST comparison?

I was hoping to do that today along with - 180 "The Bullet", 250 Hevi-Shot and 240 Dead Center. It is pouring rain right now so the chances are looking bleak.

Super 91 said:
I also find the lack of faith that hydrostatic, or some sort of shock is present at the point of impact disturbing.

If my dang server company will iron out a few bugs they installed with the last "upgrade" I'll get some video streaming posted. I shot it with one of our XL1s cameras, so it isn't high speed or anything fancy like that but I prepped it at 5% of original speed and the shockwave/energy disruption is spectacular!

Can you tell me, I thought until the advent of the Interbond the Interlock was Hornady's premium bullet. Am I wrong?

You are correct...I'm sure your box IS marked Interlock and that has been Hornadys premium bullet for years. BUT...They still have to match a bullets intended velocity window, that being the min. velocity a bullet will expand and the max. velocity it will hold together, to the cartridge. Think of all the velocity ranges of .308cal cartridges. You have .30 Carbine to 30-378 Weatherby(2100 to 3500fps!)! It is just about impossible to make one bullet to work properly at all velocity ranges. Even with the Interlock, the bullet has to be matched to the velocity window of a cartridge. Hornady makes a 170gr .308 Interlock for 30-30 WCF velocities(<2200fps). Although it IS an Interlock, it is in no way designed for 30-378 velocities(over 3300fps!). It will go to pieces at those velocites. Consequently...The .308 180gr #3070 spitzer won't reliably expand at 30-30 velocities.

Take your .375 220gr. It HAS to expand at about 1600fps(200yd velocity of a .375 Win) AND hold together at 2300fps(mv of a .375 Win). That's a 700fps velocity window. It really can't be expected to hold together and function properly with a 2850fps mv. In all honesty, it did a LOT better than I would have ever expected it to do...a tribute to the Interlocks design. Try a 270gr or 300gr Interlock in that big .375. I bet you'll get better results!

I was hoping to do that today along with - 180 "The Bullet", 250 Hevi-Shot and 240 Dead Center. It is pouring rain right now so the chances are looking bleak.

Now THAT sounds like a GREAT test!

big6x6 said:
In all honesty, it did a LOT better than I would have ever expected it to do...a tribute to the Interlocks design. Try a 270gr or 300gr Interlock in that big .375.

Yeah, when you put it that way it did do well. The amazing part of that bullet is I watched Sandi do a 350 pound black bear and a bull caribou with the same load. Both shots were under 100 yards (the bear about 90 yards under!) and both were brisket to vent angles. The bullet exited in both cases, go figure. Niether animal had a clue what happened when the bullet slammed into them. One thing about gross over kill - it is spectacular!

I have some shiny 270 sitting on the load bench right now. This gel is a blast literally!

omega said:
Super 91 said:
I also find the lack of faith that hydrostatic, or some sort of shock is present at the point of impact disturbing.

If my dang server company will iron out a few bugs they installed with the last "upgrade" I'll get some video streaming posted. I shot it with one of our XL1s cameras, so it isn't high speed or anything fancy like that but I prepped it at 5% of original speed and the shockwave/energy disruption is spectacular!

Very nice!! I look forward to it if you can get it up and running!

Omega,
I enjoyed reading that VERY MUCH! Keep up the good work!

I told you that 270gr .375 would be an improvement! :mrgreen:

Rich,
I first read your report at work but didn't have much time to comment. So NOW...Here's a comment for what it's worth!

I'm curious if the great penetration came from the lower energy numbers produced by the lighter bullet. Does less energy transfer equal less expansion and greater penetration?

I'd say MAINLY due to two things. One being the muzzle velocity of the bullet. 2780fps is really in the meat of the performance range of that bullet. Launched at a more typical 3000-3100fps, it would have penetrated less. PROBABLY a good bit less. Second thing I noticed is the diameter of the mushroom which is smaller than the .308 projectiles. I guess that is expected. Lastly there is the sd factor that you mentioned.

Again, great test. I'm thinking I want some Perma-Gel! :yeah:

Chuck I have to tell you this stuff is great! The more I shoot it the more questions the results pose and the more I have to shoot it. It is amazing some of the things I've learned using it.

Back