Pics and descriptions from bedding my 10ML-II.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Man

Reaction score
Per the requests of several people, I am posting a pictorial history of my experience bedding my muzzleloader, a .50 caliber Savage 10ML-II in stainless/laminate.

I chose to use Brownell?s AccraGlass Gel, since it is supposed to be a bit easier to work with than the original AccraGlass, which is a liquid consistency.

Additionally, however, given the high recoil of many of the loads that I shoot in the 10ML, I wanted a really hard and strong area for the recoil lug to contact. Therefore, I used Brownell?s atomized stainless steel to reinforce the epoxy.

I chose to bed my action because of relative inconsistency with my rifle. Sometimes, the four or five groups that I shot in an afternoon would all be .75? to 1.2?. At least as often, though, groups with the exact same components and charges would run 1.5? to 2.5?. I felt this to be related to inconsistent stock-to-action mating. In particular, if I did not twist the stock a particular way as I tightened the action screws in a particular order, then the right side of the forearm would press against the barrel. I hoped to solve these issues by bedding the action.

Here is a pic of the bed area before I started:

originalbed1tm.jpg

I?ve broken my project down into some large segments:

1. FREE FLOATING THE BARREL. From the contact/wear marks on the tops of the pillars and bottom of the action, I could tell that the action was resting on the pillars. (Altough friction marks on the wood showed contact there, too.) So, I tightened the action into the stock and noted where the most contact was occurring.

I then bought a 1? and a 15/16? dowel from the hardware store. I cut six-inch lengths of each and wrapped them with medium grit sand paper. This gave me sanding blocks the same size as the barrel itself. I removed the action from the stock and sanded the barrel channel. I then replaced and retightened the action, checked for contact, sanded some more and repeated until 5 to 7 sheets of typing paper would freely slide back all the way to the recoil lug. This required enlarging the area around the barrel nut a little bit.

I raised the grain by wiping the sanded surface with a damp paper towel and letting it dry. I resanded with fine sandpaper, raised the grain again, and resanded with extra fine sandpaper. Finally, I finished the barrel channel with three coats of oil-based polyurethane, sanded between coats. Afterward, I verified that five sheets of 20-pound paper still freely slid back to the recoil lug.

The sanded and finished barrel channel:

finishedbarrelchannel5cp.jpg

2. PREPARING THE STOCK. Now that the barrel channel profile was completed, I used masking tape to wrap all normally exposed wood on the stock. I was careful to bring the tape right up to the edge of the barrel and action channel without going into it.

I also used modeling clay to completely fill the recess for the trigger group. I only wanted to bed from the recoil lug back to the rear pillar. So, from the rear pillar back to the tang area, I contoured the modeling clay to match the height and shape of the wood bed between the pillars.

wrappedgun9tw.jpg

3. RECESSING BED AREA. I used a Dremel with a metal spherical grinding attachment to grind away about 1/16? to 1/8? of wood under the entire action. Since the pillars started off flush with the wood, I could tell how much I had ground out by how much the pillars protruded above the wood. I used lengthwise and perpendicular strokes with the Dremel to avoid unequal areas of recessing. I did NOT try to make the surface perfectly flat or smooth, since roughness will aid adhesion of the epoxy.

I used a metal cylindrical grinding attachment to grind would off the front face and sides recoil lug pocket, again about 1/16? to 1/8?. I made sure to put a dimple in the middle to allow for the protrusion in the top rear of the lug.

I put the action back in the stock and tightened it down to the pillars and rechecked the barrel for free float in case the wood I had removed had previously caused the action to lift the barrel away from the forearm. In this case, though, I still had a free-floated barrel. At this point, the ONLY point of contact between the entire stock and the entire barrel/action combo was the two pillars and action screws.

Lastly, I drilled about a dozen holes downward into the stock. Some went straight down, some toward the rear, some frontward, leftward, and some to the right. In grinding away the wood under the action, I also undercut the sides of stock a little bit so that, once hardened, the bed would be wedged downward by the upper lips of the stock.

grounddown9ve.jpg

4. REMOVING AND REPLACING THE ACCUTRIGGER. I removed the trigger group inside a Ziploc bag to make sure no springs went flying. I put it back together and took it apart several times to make sure I understood how it all fit.

If you look closely at the AccuTrigger assembly, you will notice that the pin slides in from the side that the spring is on. This makes for a difficult insertion, since it is fairly easy to get the pin almost in from the other side, use a Popsicle stick to press the spring into alignment, and slide the pin the last bit in and through the spring?but coming from the other (correct) side, the spring puts tension on the spring and makes it almost impossible to align everything else.

I solved this problem by getting a length of brass rod the same diameter as the pin. I slid it in from the ?easy? (incorrect?) direction, then ?chased? or pushed the brass rod out with the pin, thereby keeping everything in alignment while the pin slid into place. A job for an octopus became a simple operation taking only a few seconds.

pinreplacementtool9zq.jpg

5. PREPARING THE ACTION. I next used modeling clay to fill every single hole, slot, and machined area on the stock. I tried to make it so the action was completely round and smooth. However, if in doubt, I let the clay protrude, since it would be better to have a epoxy somewhat open in any machined areas, as opposed to locking the action in place or even just occupying the machined areas somewhat.

I filled in the ?flutes? on the barrel nut with modeling clay, then wrapped two layers of masking tape around that. I also pressed modeling clay down inside the pillars and made it flush with the tops (to keep epoxy from running down into them.)

preppedaction6li.jpg

I put one layer of black electrician?s tape on the front and sides BUT NOT THE BACK OF THE RECOIL LUG. This allows room for the lug to slide in and out of the finished bed, but allows for perfect mating along the back of the lug, which is the most critical part of the action under recoil.

recoillug5na.jpg

6. BUILDING EPOXY DAMS OUT OF MODELING CLAY. I had already filled in much of the rear trigger/tang area with clay. I now filled in the end of the ramrod channel and some of the barrel nut recess with clay.

I fit the action into the stock and tightened it down to the pillars and added clay until the front and rear clay areas came into close contact with the barrel/barrel nut/action.

Lastly, to complete the ?seal off? off the epoxy I built up a ?gasket like? ring (half-moon) of tapered modeling clay at the front and rear where I wanted the bedding to end. I then fit the action and stock back together to see how well this conformed and sealed off the area to be epoxied. I repeated a couple of times to make sure I was consistent.

preppedbed8yn.jpg

The gasket-like dams are circled in this pic:

preppedbedcircled3pr.jpg

7. EXPERIMENTING WITH DAMS & VOLUME: I

Next, I used my kid?s PlayDough to simulate epoxy. PlayDough is much more soft and pliant than modeling clay, so I filled in all the areas where the epoxy would go, then put the action in and tightened it down. I removed it to see how well it had spread and filled the spaces. I also took all the PlayDough that remained in the bed area and flattened it into the bottom of a bowl to get an idea how much epoxy I would need.

Sorry, no pics of the PlayDough. Well, tell you what, here?s a pic for the reading impaired:

home_main_crazycuts.jpg

8. APPLYING RELEASE AGENTS. On all of the action and barrel nut/recoil lug, I brushed on a layer of the vinyl release agent that was supplied with the AccraGlass Gel. I did not apply it to the rear of the recoil lug. I waited two hours, then applied a second coat.

I then sprayed the entire receiver LIBERALLY with Pam Cooking Spray with Canola Oil.

9. FILLING IN HOLES AND CREVICES. Once I double checked to make sure that I had all supplies on hand and had my work area set up (you can see much of it in the photos above ? this included plenty of paper towels, Q-tips, toothpicks, and vinegar), I mixed the AccraGlass Gel according to the enclosed instructions. It really was the consistency and close to the color of butter, just a little more translucent. I mixed two to three times the amount that I thought I would need.

I did not mix in the atomized stainless steel at this point. I was worried that once I mixed in ample amounts of stainless steel, that the mixture would be too thick to work into the holes I had drilled (to make mechanical locks) and to adhere well to the stock.

I applied just enough of the plain AccraGlass Gel to fill all of the holes I had drilled and to put a film all over the bedding area. I used toothpicks to work ample amounts down into the holes. I rubbed the film into the stock to make sure that it was infiltrating the pores marks in the wood. Of course, I had to work quickly to make sure I didn?t run out of time before it began hardening.

In this pic, you can see the film on the wood and the filled holes are the round white spots.

butteredbed9hd.jpg

10. APPLYING STEEL-REINFORCED EPOXY. Next, I mixed atomized steel into the previously prepared Gel at between a 3:1 and 2:1 ratio (by volume, with greater proportion being epoxy). I mixed and mixed until the steel appeared to be THOROUGHLY mixed and there were NO lumps of dry steel powder or traces of lighter-colored epoxy.

I then spooned the mixture into the bed area. I used tooth picks to work it into the recoil lug recess and to make sure there were no bubbles anywhere. When I was sure there was enough epoxy, that it was spread everywhere, and there were no bubbles, I worked the action down into the epoxy. I had wrapped the screws with one layer of masking tape (more than that and they would go through the pillars) and sprayed them with PAM. I inserted them and snugged the action down.

Of course, this caused ample amounts of epoxy to run out the sides. I just wiped it away with paper towels. I then wrapped the action tightly with electrician?s tape near each action screw so that when I loosened the screws, the action would not lift away from the pillars.

Ever thirty minutes for the first five hours or so I would loosen each action screw a half to a full turn and snug it back, then do the other screw. This was just to make sure that the screws couldn?t get epoxied in place.

Every time I snug them down during the first two or three hours, more epoxy, even in a fairly rubbery state toward the end, would ooze out between the receiver and the stock. I used Q-tips soaked in vinegar to scrub it all off of the receiver and flush with the top of the stock.

(Sorry, no pics because I was in a hurry to keep it from hardening and I was messy by the time it was done.)

11. REMOVING THE ACTION FROM THE BED. The next morning, about 12 or 14 hours later, I tried to remove the action. I put a half-inch dowel in the breech end of the receiver and pulled on it and the barrel. It didn?t budge.

I put it in my deep freeze and left it for about two hours. It still didn?t budge. Next, I got a rubber mallet and tapped once from the top, once from the left, once from the right, and once from the rear.

It popped (literally) right out. It seemed hard as a rock, but I wanted to let it cure some more. I scrubbed all of the oil and modeling clay off, put it back together, and didn?t touch it again for a week.

The finished product:

bedoverhead9gc.jpg

Notice the letters stamped into the bottom of the receiver are mirrored in the steel-reinforced epoxy here:

bedfront5tz.jpg

bedrear8rt.jpg

finishedleftside2uh.jpg

finishedrightside6nc.jpg

I have only had one real trip to the range since I finished it, so I don?t have any substantive on-target evidence of the effects of the bedding job. Once turkey season is over, I?ll try to put fifty or a hundred rounds through it and post the range results.

Hope someone finds this helpful or interesting!

The original poster hasn't been here since 2008 do not much chance of an update either.

Latest posts

Back