Poll - Load Development Range?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

At what range do you shoot when developing loads for your muzzleloader?

• 50 yards

• 100 yards

• 200 yards

• Some other range

• 25 yards

Results are only viewable after voting.
Since 25 yards was not in the mix I voted fifty, but use 25 to pull a 5 to ten shot string into the bull, then move it to 100 and dial in that load. Any subsequent bullet/sabot or powder/charge size shot I just shoot and pay no attention the where they hit outside of the bull. Once a subsequent load/bullet has been settled on I dial it in to hit the bull at 100.

All of my long inlines are shooting dead nuts at 100. I shoot other bullets and powder at the range but, again, let the bullets fall where they may and make no scope adjustments for them. Come hunting season I run two shots thru any gun I plan to take in the field to verify everything using the powder/bullet, sabot and primer the gun was zeroed at 100 with, then go hunt.

After bore sighting/confirming rough point of impact, when developing a hunting load, what distance do you shoot when developing (choosing) loads and why? This likely varies with sight type (scope or iron sights). Select up to two.
100yds. Where I sight in everything except my CVA 357 Max pistol. It's at 50yds. I shot it at 100yds, to see where its hits, and it's just a gnat's eyelash off.

Since 25 yards was not in the mix I voted fifty, but use 25 to pull a 5 to ten shot string into the bull, then move it to 100 and dial in that load. Any subsequent bullet/sabot or powder/charge size shot I just shoot and pay no attention the where they hit outside of the bull. Once a subsequent load/bullet has been settled on I dial it in to hit the bull at 100.

All of my long inlines are shooting dead nuts at 100. I shoot other bullets and powder at the range but, again, let the bullets fall where they may and make no scope adjustments for them. Come hunting season I run two shots thru any gun I plan to take in the field to verify everything using the powder/bullet, sabot and primer the gun was zeroed at 100 with, then go hunt.
That's sounds about what I do. I just didn't want to type all that....lol...

This ^^^^

Out West a 200 yard shot is not uncommon. Wind is not uncommon. Seeing what happens to a bullet out 200 yard in the wind is quite instructive.
Absolutely. Once I have a load developed (bullet, powder, primer and loading system chosen), I pick a zero range (usually 100 or 200 yards), then run rough trajectory numbers in a trajectory calculator, then verify at longer ranges. Then once developed I practice beyond the furthest range I expect to have to shoot (or the furthest my bullets energy/velocity) will allow me to ethically take shots on my target animal.

When using BH, I shoot heavy charges which sufficiently obturates any bullet I shoot. If the bullet isn't accurate to 500yds, I don't shoot that bullet and certainly will not hunt with it. It MUST shoot <MOA at 500yds. All 5 shot minimums.

With SML, all load development is completed not by shooting at a target, but by Satterlee testing, which has yet to fail me. 10 rounds minimum, then the data is put into a spread sheet to plot the graph.

Absolutely. Once I have a load developed (bullet, powder, primer and loading system chosen), I pick a zero range (usually 100 or 200 yards), then run rough trajectory numbers in a trajectory calculator, then verify at longer ranges. Then once developed I practice beyond the furthest range I expect to have to shoot (or the furthest my bullets energy/velocity) will allow me to ethically take shots on my target animal.
I think that’s a smart effective way to go about that

I check loads at 25 yds and move to 50 to verify the better ones. Just for fun I'll shoot at the 8" gong at 100 but not to develop the load. But then I (almost) exclusively shoot patched round balls out of flintlocks. On rare occasions I'll exercise my two percussions just to keep them from crying and pouting.

I no longer hunt but have taken deer at a little beyond 100 yds with flint and round ball.

Developing loads for me is different from tweaking hunting loads. When I try a new bullet or powder or any new combination, I shoot at 25 yards first. If you get a 2” group at 25, no reason to take that load any further. But then I don’t shoot past 200, much less 500 yards.

Last edited:
I just started using my ml again and have used 50 yds for my starting point. I quickly moved out to 100yds this year when I saw my groups at 50. I may push the distance to 150 & 200 yds.

I can't vote for any yardage listed. I have to be no more than ten yards. Then i waste my time and lead shooting at 75-100 yards. I never find a bullet hole in my back up board let alone in my target. I have no idea why they never show up. I used to shoot n kill crows at a 1/4 mile with my 22-250. I will ponder this for another 60 days and report back my unfindings !

I can't vote for any yardage listed. I have to be no more than ten yards. Then i waste my time and lead shooting at 75-100 yards. I never find a bullet hole in my back up board let alone in my target. I have no idea why they never show up. I used to shoot n kill crows at a 1/4 mile with my 22-250. I will ponder this for another 60 days and report back my unfindings !
😂. Put the muzzle end of the gun right on the bullseye and shoot. Then you are always on.

On the sister forum i have read so many of them using Rock Sparkers can shoot groups of 1 inch at hundred yards. Really i can not see a 2" orange dot at a hundred yards. I have not looked yet this year. I may not see a 3" orange dot. So i know i am not going to shoot any one inch groups.

Latest posts

Back