Postal Service Sucks!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shippers be aware! Not news to anyone as we have all seen it.Recent Omega purchase arrived with box tore, bent and all banged up.Thankfully Steelheader323 done great job of packaging!
I've had the opportunity to have worked in a few shipping hubs from UPS FED EX & USPS & I was flabbergasted at seeing "firsthand" how our packages are literally thrown around with less regard than chucking cinderblocks or firewood. Them having no reaction to when they hear things break from what they are doing. They don't miss a beat. I not only saw that in one place, I saw it repeatedly, I saw them get trained to do it like that.

I've had the opportunity to have worked in a few shipping hubs from UPS FED EX & USPS & I was flabbergasted at seeing "firsthand" how our packages are literally thrown around with less regard than chucking cinderblocks or firewood. Them having no reaction to when they hear things break from what they are doing. They don't miss a beat. I not only saw that in one place, I saw it repeatedly, I saw them get trained to do it like that.
It's ridiculous!!

I’ve had stuff show up in really rough shape. Thankfully the worst I ever had was only a busted front sight on a rifle. I try and pack these rifles and other items as snug as possible. Nothing worse than opening up your stuff to find that it’s damaged

Its unfortunate but it's not the dude dropping it off that does this crap. The USPS needs an overhaul, big time. Starting with the top dog.

I received boxes with tire tracks on them

Also received empty boxes that had been re-tapped and delivered to me.

I got a box from a friend and I had to call her to ask why she sent me water skiing stuff since I live in Alaska. She said WTF, I never sent that! After a long call we figured I got some of the stuff she sent and for some reason the post office took what they wanted and replaced with stuff they had laying around

Don’t give USPS all the hate, because UPS is just as bad. I ordered a scope for my turkey shotgun on December 22nd, and it sat at the UPS facility in Tyler TX from Dec 29th until being returned to the sender on Jan 8th. The seller finally shipped another scope yesterday.

I've had at least a few problems with all shippers, but USPS is by far the worst. Here in Helena, I've had to ask all of my tenants (rental real estate is my "semi-retirement" business) to take their rent checks directly to my bank rather than mailing them, because it's taking up to 10 days for a letter to get from the Helena Post Office to me - and I also have a Helena address! Not only that, but in the last 6 months USPS has completely lost 3 rent checks, so the tenants had to pay $25 to have the checks cancelled, and re-send them.

I recently ordered some stuff from October Country Muzzle-loading, which is in Coeur d'Alene Idaho. USPS routed the package from Coeur d'Alene to Spokane to Portland to Missoula to Billings to Great Falls and finally to Helena. Hmmmm.... Is there any wonder that the US Government has to bail out USPS to the tune of about $10 Billion every year? Is the postal workers union up to something here?

I bought a gun Saturday on GunBroker it shipped Monday and was delivered to me Wednesday in perfect condition a day ahead of schedule And I have ordered many times before with no problems guess I am just lucky

I ship a lot of stuff out and all carriers stink. My records show USPS makes it there in one piece a greater percentage of the time.

I recently ordered parts and paid for USPS delivery, the seller shipped it UPS stating that had issues with the USPS Detroit hub. With informed delivery, I can see the bottle necks for every carrier east of the Mississippi. UPS has two in NY. Syracuse and Latham. I had a gunstock sit in Latham for a month. It was insured but it was one of a kind. I went to the facility and saw their undeliverable packages. Half of them (at least for what I saw) had a name , delivery address and a return address. Not sure what happens to them but I did get my highly figured walnut stock for a Springfield 03.

If you can avoid it, don't order firearm related products during the Christmas rush. That is when all carriers hire temporary help ( that don't give a ****). If shipping , do not put "handle with care" or "do not fold" .

Missing the days of a 10¢ stamp

Always buy the insurance.
I bought the USPS insurance for a recurve bow riser.... when the riser got to me, the package had been broken open, was taped back up with Scotch tape, and it had many dings and dents - looked like it had rattled around in a garbage truck. I tried to file an insurance claim, but USPS denied it because I couldn't find "a qualified, certified repair expert to provide a cost estimate for restoring the riser to its previous condition." So the insurance was absolutely worthless.

I bought a gun Saturday on GunBroker it shipped Monday and was delivered to me Wednesday in perfect condition a day ahead of schedule And I have ordered many times before with no problems guess I am just lucky
I haven't kept track, so these numbers are a guess, but I'd say that my shipments arrive reasonably on time and in reasonable condition about 90% of the time - with all carriers. It's the nature of everyday service, the 10% of shipments that go wrong, and the way that the different carriers deal with problems that make the difference and cause all the heartburn.

With UPS and Fedex, anyway, the big difference is that the employees I've worked with are polite, work hard and efficiently, do their best to straighten things out when there's a problem, and problems tend to get solved. With the USPS, on the other hand, I've found that most employees absolutely don't care, work at a snail's pace, go out of their way to be rude and unhelpful, and when customer is having a problem, it seems to make their day. When the second-most senior employee in the Ellensburg, WA Post Office would receive a package, for example, he often tossed it into the outgoing package bin as though he was taking a basketball jump shot - right in front of the Post Office supervisor and all the customers in the lobby - and then call up the next customer in line with a faint mocking grin on his face and ask "May I help you?". For some reason mail carriers kept delivering packages to the wrong addresses in our rural Ellensburg WA neighborhood, and the USPS supervisor's stock response was, "Look, if you're having a problem and can't straighten it out yourself, just call the police."

In the rural places where I've lived for the last 10 years, UPS and Fedex drive to my door - often through horrible road conditions - and the drivers are unfailingly cheerful, work hard, and are very polite. USPS, on the other hand, just puts a note in my mailbox for every package that won't fit, so I have to drive into town, and then spend 30 minutes waiting in line watching sullen, rude, grumpy USPS employees work at a snail's pace - although I have to say that the Helena Post Office employees are far, far better than those in Ellensburg, WA. When I visited the Fedex office in Helena a couple of times before Christmas, in contrast, there was a line of about 30 people waiting for service each time, and only three people were working, but they had such a good system going and were so well-trained and hard-working that I got through the line in about 5 minutes both times.

I bought 58 cal conicals from a member here, box when shipped weight 9 lbs. It was empty when I got it. Nothing was ever found, and they denied the insurance.
Decay just told me the other day that he sent another member a box of the cast conicals he made & an empty destroyed box is what was delivered. No accountability is a big problem.

The people working at the USPS are like any others.
They make mistakes.
But, they are accepting job applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back