Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darbonne

Reaction score
What is estimated life span of 209 primers if kept in dry/room temperature place? I have some that are about 10 years old and am worried they could not be dependable anymore.

(Most) will stay good for many years. I have a friend who was using 10+ yrs. old lrmp primers in a timed match and come down to the wire at 3 different events and had a ftf with no time to put in another. Needless to say he no longer has any of those primers. I have picked up 209 primers off of the ground at the public range after a rain and they went bang. I don't know what brakes down in them that would cause the anvil not to detonate the initiator. Moisture at some point is my guess.

What is estimated life span of 209 primers if kept in dry/room temperature place? I have some that are about 10 years old and am worried they could not be dependable anymore.
Yeah, and probably more likely to find them sitting around the workbench, shelves, or safe than at any retail shop!

Latest posts

Back