Probably going to miss another bow season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
I'm probably going to miss archery season again this year. I'll definatly miss the first few weeks, but might get lucky enough to hunt the later part of the season. It will be the 3rd year in a row that I missed season, and I am not happy at all about it. I'll miss it because I won't be able to do any practicing. Having surgery soon, and have been told that it will be a few weeks before I am even suposed to lift 10lb let alone drawing my bow back. The surgery is not scheduled yet, but I am meeting with the surgeon this week

Spoke with the surgeon on the phone. (It's nice having a sister who is a surg tech when you are in this situation) He wants to see me in his office Sept 1, and will schedule the surgery at that time. Looks like archery season is definatly out for the 3rd year in a row :cry: :cry: :cry: Also looks like I need to stop the modification of mt Savages, and get to the rangs some cool night to make sure that they are still sighted in with last years loads, because after the surgery I most likely won't be going to the range

Hey Jr whatsa matter with ya? Gonna have that plastic surgery to get rid of that ugly mug? :lol:
No really just kidding, whats wrong lil buddy?
Rman

Been having a lot of sinus troubles since I was in my early teens and the Dr's have finaly decided that it is actualy being caused by something similar to acid reflux. I am confident that even though it does not sound reasonable they are rite because stomach meds are making it a lot better. Not good, but better. Basicaly what they are going to do is go in and replace the valve in the top of my stomach. It shouldn't be too major, but for reasons currently unknown to me I won't be able to do much more than lay around for 2-3 weeks afterwards. It's a bad time of year for that, but I can't do much about it.

I believe it, I have some of the same trouble and that valve is part of my problem too. Good luck on your surgery and stay comfortable. Rman

Today I found out that archery season in KY starts in 14 days. I have a 400ac area that I can hunt in KY, so if my surgery does not get scheduled until the end of Sept. like I am guessing it will I'll be able to hunt :D :D :D :D :D I am excited about that. My bow was purchased rite after early archery season 4 years ago and has not made it into the woods yet because of my missing archery season the last 3 years. Maybe it will draw 1st blood this year. Well not 1st blood, but 1st hunting blood. I did shoot a deer with it at the range 1 time while season was in and I was not hunting.

Spoke with the land owner on the plot in KY. 3 guys approached him about a hunting lease on the property last month, and he figured that he could use the extra cash so he did it. He will be getting $1,200 per person per year from the 3 guys so I can't ask him to back out of the lease for me even though he is a distant cousin who has always told me that I could hunt the property any time I wanted. Guess that I should have checked with him before getting excited about the possibility of hunting down there.

could you hunt on public land down there? Probably not much pressure in early bow.

I could IF I knew where to go, but I do not know of much public land in KY. If anybody knows of any good public of even private ground that I would be able to hunt preferably in the Northwestern portion of the state so I do not have to drive over 2-3 hours to get there please let me know.

The surgeon was a lot more leniant about when the surgery could be done. My original Dr aint going to be happy, and my insurance is not going to like paying for the extra meds, but I talked the surgeon in to waiting till after the 1st of the year. That means I can bow hunt :D :D :D

It's getting to the point where you almost have to buy the ground to have any kind of guarranty you can hunt it. Much land is being leased to outfitters for big money, videos, and high rollin out of staters. :x
Sure ain't like it used to be.... our family is going to hold our 80 A. come hell or high water!

I purchased 6 new carbon arrows Thursday after the final tests were run, and the Dr. decided that my surgery was not going to be emergency. Not being an emergency means taht it will wait until after the 1st of the year. I planned on using carbons to hunt with this year. I have previously shot a few carbons, but stuck with aluminum for hunting. I screwed field tips on my 6 brand new arrows, and decided to practice for a while Fri afternoon. Shot each of the 6 arrows 3 times, and was already getting good groups at 20 yards. My groups were at least a foot off from what the bow was sighted for with aluminum arrows, but were only 4-4 1/2" diameter rite from the start with no practice. Checked the arrows for cracks after each shot and had not found any cracks. On the 4th round the 1st arrow exploded as soon as I released. Luckily none of it ended out in my arm. I found about 1/2 of the arrow in 7 different pieces all within 5 feet of where I was standing. Must have missed a crack. Needless to say after this experience I am going back to aluminum for everything, because I know I won't get that lucky twice. Next time I'll have an arm full of carbon.

Sorry to here that H.T.R. All I use anymore is carbon.I use A.C.E. by easton for IBO sanctioned shoots and because of the speed limit in A.S.A. sanction shoots I use RedHead carbons that I bought as Bass Pro a few years ago to hunt with. I have also taken deer and boar with Beeman carbon arrows topped with a Tri-lock brodhead. Almost forgot about the easton A.C.C. I once used on a deer. I have never had a carbon arrow break in a deer and they were all pass threw shoots. But I have tore up a few at the 3-D shoots. After the experience you had I cant blame you for your thoughts on the carbon arrow. What brand of carbons were you using?

That's something I need to do. I just can't get motivated to bother with my bow anymore. Mine hasn't been hunted with in a couple years but I do shoot it occasionally. I shoot the carbon arrows and have never had one explode like that. When I'm in form I'll usually group two arrows touching at 20 yds. I won't shoot past 20 yds.

The arrow was a PSE CARBON FORCE 200. A guy on anothe board suggested that I am shooting too much draw weight, but I kinda doubt that as the guy at the local archery shop told me that they were the arrows I needed. I had to miss a crack when I inspected the arrow after the previous shot.
I'm just glad that my hand does not look like this picture http://www.hunt101.com/img/303459.jpg

HighTechRedneck said:
The arrow was a PSE CARBON FORCE 200. A guy on anothe board suggested that I am shooting too much draw weight, but I kinda doubt that as the guy at the local archery shop told me that they were the arrows I needed. I had to miss a crack when I inspected the arrow after the previous shot.
I'm just glad that my hand does not look like this picture http://www.hunt101.com/img/303459.jpg

After seeing that picture I am thinking about going back to aluminum! :shock: :? :shock: :eek:

High Tech,
What weight pull are you shooting?
charlie

I'm shooting 70lb. draw.

I saw that pic. before I decided to go the carbon route. I just figured that as long as I checked after every shot I would be OK, because I know several people shooting carbons and none of them have had an experience anything like this.

Back