Quick brain check

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarpicva

Reaction score
It has been many years since I have shot a sidelock. A friend just bought a .50 Hawken and I am trying to help him get outfitted. Can you help me make a necessities list. Starting with:

powder measure
ball starter
cleaning jag
.490 balls
.015 patches
primer holder

Based on some of your experience, I am recommending Pyro RS and that should be 2f, correct?

What am I forgetting?

Thanks all!

guitarpicva said:
It has been many years since I have shot a sidelock. A friend just bought a .50 Hawken and I am trying to help him get outfitted. Can you help me make a necessities list. Starting with:

powder measure
ball starter
cleaning jag
.490 balls
.015 patches
primer holder

Based on some of your experience, I am recommending Pyro RS and that should be 2f, correct?

What am I forgetting?

Thanks all!

I like the see through powder measures. My .50's normally like Pyrodex RS in the 85 grain range. If this is a T/C , CVA, or Traditions then the .490 ball is good. If its Lyman then you can go with the .495 (at least in my Lymans).

Primer holders are nice. Ted Cash makes a great one. But you can pick up a cheaper inline #11 capper much cheaper. And it is nice to have a nylon bristle brush to clean the bore with. As for a patch worm they are handy. The ball puller and scraper, I own them, but never use them. If I do dry ball a rifle, I pull the nipple and pack it with powder and shoot it out. So get a nipple wrench to take the nipple in and out.

Latest posts

Back