Rabbits

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redclub

Reaction score
Well for the last 2 weeks we have had a little snow, so I have went out every day (just on my farm). I take my Rem.model 597 and for the first three days I didn't hit anything went through a box and 1/2 of shells. This gun just doesn't fit right I believe its made for a scope and not enough drop in the stock,Well I broke the clip so I started to use my wife's Rem. Speedmaster, Now that fits great. So for the next 10 days boy did I shot a lot,sometimes a dozen shots at one rabbit,Those things sure seem to run a lot faster as I get older, Well so far I got 3 bunnies with 4 boxes of shells Now I never shoot at a sitting rabbit (if I did that I would wipe em out and couldn't hunt anymore). Man I can sure make that 22 sing and I just shake my head and chuckle. When I do hit one I feel kinda bad, until I eat it. I have bad knees so I can only hunt for a couple of hours per day.
but is there a better way for a retired guy to spend his winter when there is not a lot of other things going on. Time to lite up a cigar and go see if I can do some shooting, hopefully I won't hit anything.
Redclub

Ahhh. Another cigar fan :D . What's your favorite. I like good Cubans, but toooooo expensive :shock: . I settle for 263 Sweets @ $3.50 apiece. Anyway the bunny hunting sounds like fun. Haven't done that here for many, many, many, too many years. :(

Raf
I like any cigar that you have to cut the end off, Usually its an optima which the local gas station carries ,I only buy one at a time otherwise I smoke too much. They are $1.29 and last for about an hour.
Time to put the 22 away for the year we got hit with a heavy snowstorm last nite and very cold weather supposed to hit -16F tonite. Season closes pretty quick anyway and I have 6 bunnies in the freezer and thats enough.
So for a couple weeks its ice fishing, then maple syrup, then Turkey chasing.
Ken

On hunting mornings my hunting partner and I stop at the local 7-11 on the way out to get coffee. Often pick up a cigar, but they're awfull :puke: . Prefer to keep what I like on hand to take along. Most of cigars I get already have a hole in the end but I prefer to snip the end off anyway. That little hole fills up with tar and tastes terrible and spoils the smoke. I've got a snipper in my garage, in the pocket of my jacket and one in my cabin. On those days when I don't have it with me, a sharp knife does the trick.
Sounds like you're going to have some fun for the next couple of weeks. Going to do a little ice fishing myself. No maple syrup out her though

Latest posts

Back